Author Topic: REAR SLIDE LEAKING  (Read 5463 times)

brunitoons2

REAR SLIDE LEAKING
« on: January 25, 2010, 05:07:22 PM »
I HAVE AN 04 PATRIOT THUNDER, REAR SLIDE IS LEAKING INTO THE THE OVERHEAD CABINET, (CEILING AREA). I HAD AN RV REPAIR SERVICE RESEALED THE LEADING EDGE OF THE SLIDE. THOUGHT THAT MIGHT DO IT. ANOTHER SMALL RAIN THIS PAST FRIDAY AND THE FORWARD INSIDE PORTION OF THE CABINET WAS WET AGAIN (CEILING AREA). DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS OR HEARD OF THIS BEFORE? THE RV REPAIR SAID HE MIGHT WANT TO DO A PRESSURE TEST TO SEE IF CAN LOCATE ANY LEAKS. HELP PLEASE!
GARY BRUNING 772.485.8750. THANK YOU.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 07:00:29 AM by 14 »

Bill Sprague

Re: REAR SLIDE LEAKING
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 05:55:34 PM »
Have had the same problem twice on my 04 Monterey and solved it both times.

I've heard the pressue test with bubble bath works pretty good, but I have no direct experience.

First solution:  Unroll the slide topper.  Use wood blocks with clamps or pins or some method to keep it from rolling up.  The danger here is that if something slips when your hand is in the way you can loose your hand.  After you're sure the awning/topper won't roll up, remove it an lay it on the roof.  Now you should have access to the seams that go full length along the inner and out edge.  Clean them and re-caulk.  Not sure what is best, but I use acetone to clean and silicone to caulk.  You should be able to reach the inside seam by lifting the wipe seal up a couple inches at a time.  

If you can't get to the inside seam, I've seen it reached from the inside the coach.  Bring the slide in about a foot, reach over the top.  You need a helper if you do it this way.  You have to put tubing over the caulk tube as an extension.  The helper squeezes the lever on the caulk gun.  Don't get caulk on your wife's pillow.  If you do, switch it to your side of the bed.

Second solution:  A tech replaced the spring in the topper/awning.  When he put things back together the awning roll-up tube contacted the side of the coach before the slide was all the way in.  It created a pressure that opened the slide about 1/16th of an inch and the rain came in while the slide was closed.  I shimmed the mounting bracket and all was well.

Third solution:  Your slide seals are damaged or deteriorating from age.  I've not done this job and suspect it is difficult.

Fourth solution:  The slide is out of adjustment and the seals are not compressing properly.  I have not adjusted slides by myself, but have observed it.  It looks a little tricky.

Good luck.  I hate slide out leaks.

brunitoons2

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 06:16:15 PM »
Thank you. 1st. we just unbolted the awning and rolled it on top of the coach. 2nd. he cleaned the leading edge and calked. Will probably had to do the inside edge now. Also no way to put your hand over the slide out from the inside I looked at that only about 1" clearance. Sldie out does not seems to be out of alignment has the slide works well. Bought the coach new in Oct. 03, it sounds like from what you are saying is that it might just be the seals.

Tim Bentley

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 12:01:14 AM »
Leaks on 03 and 04 coaches have been an on going problem.  In my 03 Marquis the inside seam at the top of the slide, the one under the gasket was not done properly. There have been leaks into the cabinets on all three of my slides.  After unsuccessfully trying to re seal the seam several times, with very little room to work, I needed another solution. The problem was solved by inserting a strip of synthetic baseboard molding under the seal and back against the poor seam.  The baseboard is set in GE seal and sealed along the front edge.  When the slide is out the baseboard sticks out under the rubber seal about 1”. With this system the water never gets under the rubber seal or seam but runs to the edge away from all of the rubber seals.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:08:42 PM by 1 »

Gary Gerber

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 08:13:43 AM »
Hi,  We just had our curb side bedroom slide gutted and redone on our 08 Contessa.  The factory had never sealed it.  They took off all the cabinets, ceiling material, etc....soaking wet!  That material is just like a sponge. We also had a small leak on the main drivers side slide in the front on the bottom of the slide.  They ran a rubber j-channel  to direct the water away from the coach.  We've been under an awning since the work was done, so we really don't know if the problem has been corrected. A portion of the work was covered under our extended warranty, but not all.  Good luck.