Author Topic: SMC Levelrs  (Read 23850 times)

Gerald Farris

Re: SMC Levelrs
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 05:09:45 AM »
As for as I know, this exact system was only used on 2001 and 2002 Beaver and Safari motorhomes. To find an experienced shop in this system, you will need to find one that has worked on a lot of these coaches. That is the reason that I recommened Beaver Coach Sales. They have more experience in these coaches than anyone.

Gerald

Bill Johnson

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 05:32:29 AM »
One other person that knows these systems is Rob Pierce (SunBum RV) in Yuma.  He (and Patty) worked for both Beaver and Beaver Coach Sales and both have lots of experience with this system.

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 05:48:22 AM »
We have a 2002 Contessa with the Beaver leveling system in which they bought the compnents themselves and installed it. we had trouble with the main control pad and after several phone calls to Beaver Bend, we found out they had three of the brains for the system in the US. After we ordered it a 900USD, We had it installed and all is well. prior to changin out this part, the coach would go thru the air dump process and then start leveling and the rear end of the coach would be very high and definitely out of level. It was a pain staking process but I have to say thanks to the guys in Bend to all of the help and advice that they have sent my way. I only wished that we lived in Oregon because I would gladly go to them for everything becasue of their knowledge base and their willingness to help.

Jerry and Kay Hudson
2002 Contessa

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »
Gad, I'm glad I don't have jacks.  The jacks on my old coach were electric with a worm drive.  No problems like you guys describe.  Our plain air leveling is adequate for us, except for the slight leak in the left rear over time - the auto-level usually takes care of that.  Plus I'd always heard about hydraulic jack systems leaking, and didn't want them on our new rig.

The instructor during our 6 hour "walk through" at new coach purchase from Beaver Coach Sales was quite firm... "Always remember, slides out first and in last."  And I've read the manual and elsewhere, when setting up camp - slides out, then level the coach;  when breaking camp, air to travel mode then slides in.  This is generally the opposite from what other manufacturers recommend, but I got the idea it was to establish the torque or weight balance side to side before asking the leveling system to adjust it all.  Some claim that the body should be level or "square" so the slides go in and out of trued up holes in the wall.  Apparently Monaco didn't think that was as much of a problem as having a leveled rig and then throwing the balance out of whack by extending walls with different weights on different sides.  Our auto-level usually catches up and relevels anyway a bit later if I forget and do things bass-ackwards, which I've been known to do   :X.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Chuck Bayman

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 03:37:55 PM »
Thanks Marty

I have always put the slides out first but have never aired up before
bringing them in. I have read the manuals many times and never
saw the air up first. I will try this after the snow melts here in indiana
in a month or so. It is nice to know others have the same issues
with this system. Now i don't feel like i have been totally doing this
wrong for 6 years and as was said in another post there is very few
service centers that know about this system.  

Bruce Benson

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 03:58:08 PM »
When we bought our coach, used, from Beaver Coach Sales, I was quite upset with the "ride" during the leveling process.  To sooth my disdane BCS sent me across the street to Bend Equipment Repair.  Richard put in flow restrictors, of his design, on each cylinder of the system.  That settled it down from an "A ticket" ride to a "C ticket ride".  

We do air up before we retract and air out before we extend.

One problem with using the manual retract is that the auto brings up two jacks at a time, thus relieving some of the frame twist.  I suppose that the manual would have a little equalization in that the cylinder with the most load should retract first but the design is to do two at a time under normal conditions.  

The cup in the ram is designed to keep the ram from slipping off of the axle pad and going through a tire.  This was an improvement to the original design.  A little grease might be good to stop some of the groaning, otherwise, I would not add anything in this cup.

One thing to watch for is the "up" switch on each jack getting stuck in the up position.  The jacks are near impossible to visually check on the rear axle.  If you think from the all up light that the jacks are all up and they are not you will probably have some very serious problems, let me leave it at that.  These switches are brake light switches from trucks and should be available locally.  Check them anytime you have a chance!

HWH will retro fit an air leveling system.  Bend Equipment Repair is skilled at this change as is the HWH factory.  If it really bothers you that is the best solution.  I think seriously about it from time to time.  The SMC system does provide a little more stability than the air.  I would be hard pressed to go back to the ground jacks and all of the problems that come with that system.  This one never makes holes or gets stuck and I think the coach is as or more stable than with the ground jacks.

Bruce
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:10:31 PM by 275 »

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 04:55:53 PM »
[quote author=]HWH will retro fit an air leveling system.  Bend Equipment Repair is skilled at this change as is the HWH factory.  If it really bothers you that is the best solution.  I think seriously about it from time to time.  The SMC system does provide a little more stability than the air.  I would be hard pressed to go back to the ground jacks and all of the problems that come with that system.  This one never makes holes or gets stuck and I think the coach is as or more stable than with the ground jacks.

Bruce[/quote]

Cost is about $6000 (includes active ride) for a non HWH set up and they had no venders that they trust to do a proper install.  So it would entail a trip to Moscow, Iowa.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 09:01:09 PM by 14 »

Bruce Benson

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 11:12:33 PM »
HWH used to do it (last year) for much less without the active ride but I have no current knowledge.  Bend Equipment Repair has done several but the price used to be near the 5k mark without the active ride.  I can see why HWH wants to do the active ride themselves.  Don't you just love Iowa?  

The active ride sounds interesting.  Seems like many of the installations are Country Coaches.  Wish one of you guys would jump in there and do one and give us a report!

Bruce

Edward Buker

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 04:20:07 AM »
I assume that there are no available SMC controllers left. Anyone know? Who actually made these? Has anyone spoken with HWH to see if any of their hydraulic controllers might adapt? Any options out there that anyone knows of? Bruce, thank you for your post and providing some new insight into some of the system design and the HWH air option. It is an expensive upgrade and Iowa is not my favorite...

Dave Blystone

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 04:35:03 AM »
i have the system also everybody should look at  the    BIG FOOT  BY QUATRO    they made my system and have some of the parts   the have a shop in  white pidgen  MI and lakeland fla  dave

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 08:20:31 PM »
Richard Boatman, Bend RV Repair, told me if the controller fails, he can make a replacement.  You may contact him at 541-388-5448.
Larry

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 10:54:53 PM »
Edward, When you say controller, are you refering to the touch pad controller next to the driver or are you refering to the hydraulic manifold back by the hyd.pump or are you refering to the brainbox that is inside the coach? Northwest RV Supply in Eugene, OR. has several of the touch pads and I have a new still in the box hydraulic manifold. I don't know of any one with a brain box.  Marty

Edward Buker

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 02:02:40 AM »
Marty,

I was refering to all of the above just in case one of us had a system failure and needed parts. Sounds like the manifold and touch pads are available one way or another. Anyone know if a brain is available anywhere? Hate to be on the road and have a problem that there is no solution for....

Just for added information on this system my "brain box" was under the removable front dash panel on my 2002 Marquis. When I bought the coach this spring it would level up tilted with this hydraulic leveling system. I used some washers under one side to tilt the brain box and that offset calibrated the system. The coach now sets up level with this system just in case anyone else has that problem. The box sits on some random strand board, which is not an overly stable material, but it seems to have leveled properly since this calibration. Hope this helps...

Joey and Jackie Cashen

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2010, 05:45:15 PM »
I replaced the 'brain box' on my 2001 Marquis while in Eugene September 09. The box was purchased from Northwest RV Supply. After install the system did not work. Traveled on to Bend and had Beaver Coach Sales check and found that one of the rear jacks had been damaged. They replaced the jack and recalibrated the 'brain box' and the system worked fine. Maybe others might know another place that can fix these units but I was satisfied with Beaver Coach Sales.

Rob Perry

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 07:01:52 PM »
Thanks for the info on the level system, I thought it was me.

Couple of things I have been told:
1. When airing up, if you have a tag axle, have it in the up position.
2. Remember the left side levels and airs up differently because of the weight of the two slides on that side.

I got tired of holding my finger in the red air release button and had a switch installed on the same panel that you throw and a red light comes on and out goes the air. I can walk away and do something more productive. The red light alerts me to turn it off when the action is completed.