Author Topic: Cooling System Questions  (Read 4881 times)

Kirk Foster

Cooling System Questions
« on: November 26, 2013, 02:13:35 AM »
2008 Contessa Pacifica, Cat C9, RR8S chassis.  During a routine inspection I discovered a small leak in a cooling system hose where it is rubbing against the lower edge of the rear cap.  I am going to replace the hose. It is a 1 1/4" I.D. hose about 8' long, that runs from a connector at the lower radiator hose to the plastic tank on the "firewall".  The lower connection is even with or lower than the bottom of the radiator.  I know I will have to catch and replace a substantial amount of coolant when I remove the lower connection (depending on how fast I can get the new hose connected.) My questions are:
1: What is the capacity of the system? (Need to know how many containers to have on hand.)
2: Does the system take regular automotive ethylene glycol or does Cat require special coolant with gold flakes in it?
3: Does the system take a 50/50 mixture of coolant/water or is something else required?
4: Is there any special procedure to follow to refill the system, or is it the same as a car? (i.e. fill cold, start, warm up to operating temp and top off.)  
I appreciate any and all input and as always THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Gerald Farris

Re: Cooling System Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 03:38:35 AM »
Kirk,
1. I am not positive on the C-9, but the total cooling system capacity should be about 10 gallons.
2. Your coach does not use regular automotive antifreeze. If your coolant is green, it uses HD diesel ethylene glycol antifreeze with SCA. If it is a reddish color, it is Caterpillar ELC coolant or its equivalent.
3. Yes a 50/50 mixture of the proper coolant is preferred.
4. No special procedure is required, but be careful no to get a airlock and let the engine run to long without coolant circulation.

Gerald  

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 06:36:43 AM »
More than one of us has experienced problems with that particular hose, Kirk, so make sure you replace it with one of top quality material.  In routing it, be sure to strap fasten it to minimize abrasion.

Be glad you caught it before it dumped fluid (I'd expect ELC on your year) and stranded you on the road like it did us when the coach was only 6 months old.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Kirk Foster

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 02:14:28 AM »
Thanks for the help!  I replaced the hose this morning and got it routed so that it no longer rubs on the body.  I think I managed to salvage all but a gallon or less of the coolant mixture, which is the green stuff.  I have looked all over for green coolant with SCA and haven't located any.  I ended up buying Alliance coolant from a local truck stop (part # AAA003).  It claims to meet Caterpillar specs but it does not appear to contain a SCA. I also found a 16oz container of Pencool 3000, which is an SCA.  
Research on the internet tells me all SCA's are not alike nor compatible. There is apparently a "Ford" version and a "Chevy" version, Pencool falling in to the latter category.  I'm not sure if I should continue looking for a "fully formulated" coolant with an SCA, or if my engine will survive the addition of a gallon or so of this coolant and a few ounces of Pencool 3000.
Any suggestions...?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 04:37:10 PM »
Kirk,
The addition of one gallon of ethylene glycol (green stuff) that meets the Cat specification is no big deal. Just have the SCA in your coolant checked at your next annual service. However, if you do your own annual services, just pick up some test strips from the Cat dealer or any major truck parts supplier when you purchase your filters.

If your coach has a coolant filter, the filter will replenish the SCA in your coolant as you drive. That is the reason that the coolant filter is replaced annually. There are several different coolant filters depending on how much SCA needs to be added to your coolant.

If you change to Cat ELC (extended life coolant or red stuff) when you change coolant next, it last twice as long as the "green stuff" and there is no SCA or filter needed.

Gerald      

Kirk Foster

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 11:32:20 PM »
Thanks again!  I decided I will have the coolant replaced in the spring.  I'll go the test strip route in the meantime to make sure it is adequately protected.  I looked through my coach manual and the Caterpillar engine manual and I don't think my system has a filter.  I ended up adding 1/2 gallon of coolant and 1/2 gallon of distilled water and that seems to be  enough to refill whatever I lost during the hose change.  
There really is a lot more to one of these coaches than they let on when trying to get one off the sales lot.  I feel fortunate that I haven't had to learn anything "the hard way" and hope my luck in that regard continues to hold.

Kirk