Author Topic: Continuous Duty Solenoid  (Read 2890 times)

Dennis Crawford

Continuous Duty Solenoid
« on: December 02, 2013, 02:29:15 AM »
As many of you know,  there is a continuos duty solenoid in the front electrical bay that supplies power to quite a few circuits when the ignition switch is turned on.

I have rreplaced mine three times and will have to do it again. I have been using the NAPA part.  I use the silver disk version other than copper because it is better. Has any one else had this failure or does anyone know of a better part.  NAPA version is $45. each.

Thanks,

Dennis

Gerald Farris

Re: Continuous Duty Solenoid
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 02:45:57 AM »
Dennis,
There is a thread on the forum about replacing the original solenoid with a solid state unit (about $100 for the part) that has a much longer life extensity.

When I replace the ignition solenoid, I use the 85 amp continuous duty solenoid that is available at virtually all RV parts houses for about $25. This solenoid is designed for the purpose that you are using it for and it will normally last 7 to 10 years. It is also used as a battery isolator solenoid on many class C and entry level class A gas coaches similar to the way that the Big Boy Solenoid is used on Monaco built Beavers.

Gerald

Dennis Crawford

Re: Continuous Duty Solenoid
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 12:14:51 PM »
Gerald,

Thanks.  I will look into those options.  I only started using the NAPA part because that is what original Beaver Company advised.

Dennis