Author Topic: Avatar question - Mac help needed  (Read 6460 times)

Terry Melot

Avatar question - Mac help needed
« on: December 13, 2013, 04:57:47 PM »
How do you put a picture in your signature or whatever, that it appears with each post?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 05:12:45 PM by 5 »

Glenda Farris Co-Admin

Re: Avatar question - Mac help needed
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 05:12:29 PM »
Click on Member Center. (One of the tabs on the top row)  On the left, look for Edit Profile and under that you will see Avatar Settings.  Click on that.

You want to have a small picture that you have cropped to be square.  In the middle of the page you will see Upload Avatar and Browse.  Click on Browse to find the photo on your computer.

Glenda   8)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 06:34:03 PM by 5 »

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 05:57:31 PM »
Thanks for this post Glenda, did not know how that was done. Thanks!

Terry Melot

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 07:19:22 PM »
Well, I tried for about 30 minutes with this junk Mac.  I'm sure it is very easy for mac experts.  Anyone want to trade a mac for a good pc. When I bought the mac I thought it would be user friendly like an iPhone.  Boy was I wrong.
I can go to the Avatar settings, but getting the picture from the mac to the Avatar program remains elusive. And yes, it is jpeg. Maybe I need to go back into iPhoto and reduce the bite size?

Glenda Farris Co-Admin

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 07:23:22 PM »
Terry, I'm not a Mac person.  Hopefully someone on the Forum with one can help you.  I'll add that to the title.

Glenda   8)

Mike.Way

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 10:27:43 PM »
Maximum size for the avatar jpeg is 60X60.  You may use iPhoto or Preview (both included) to reduce the size of the image you would like to use.  Preview is simplest.  resize and cropping are under the tools menu.

Mike

Terry Melot

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 10:59:42 PM »
"Maximum size for the avatar jpeg is 60X60.  You may use iPhoto or Preview (both included) to reduce the size of the image you would like to use.  Preview is simplest.  resize and cropping are under the tools menu."

No doubt this make sense to someone familiar with a mac.  I see nothing that determines the 60X60 (whatever that means)?
Cropping is easy.  That still doesn't get it transferred to the BAC program. I'm guessing it needs to be saved in some place the BAC program can find it?
Tried lots of things. No luck. Maybe it is still too many pixels?  Have no idea how to reduce the pixels.

Terry Melot

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 11:19:22 PM »
Thanks for all the help. Finally got a piece of the picture transferred.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 01:52:15 AM »
Glad you figured it out Terry.

I didn't try to help earlier because I don't have a Mac.

The acceptable limit is 1MB for images in Forum posts, but for profile avatars it is only 256kb.  90% of the time a photo isn't transferring to the Forum because it's just too big.  For the sake of reference re. image resizing, consider checking the Sticky on the General Board about that topic.  It is for PC users, but may offer some insight overall.  Mike Way also added info re. Apple computers in another Sticky there.

PC's are not without their frustrations, too.  My grandson who uses iBooks and Macs for graphic design and professional photography, together with years of my personal aggravations with Windows computers, have convinced me that my next desktop will be a Mac.  Like anything else, there's learning curves for each new project.

-Joel
nice-looking coach by the way  ;)
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat