Author Topic: Generator power  (Read 13347 times)

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Re: Generator power
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 12:09:07 PM »
Yes and there wasn't. Only after tapping the relays. Do you know of anyone with there transfer switch mounted on the ceiling? Why are you be eating up t/switches? Can't be that hot in your bays.  I know CRAZY thoughts fly when things go wrong and the professionals (not me) are stumped. We on this forum would like to know when the electric flows or goes. I mean is on and the bride is happy.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 05:48:11 PM »
Jim, Ill know more in a bit. Off to Lowes for supplies and we then are going to try Ed's suggestion and do some jumping. I cant speak for other coaches but I will assume all 2007 Contessa coaches have the xfer box on the ceiling. Maybe other late model Beaver owners can chime in here and let us know where others relocated.

I know why the first one failed in 2014. Wires touched/arced etc. Lucky we didnt have a fire. The second one, dont know either, thats the one you worked on in ALB.

This one I cannot explain cause its new and has the same symptom.
BAC members since 2006

Edward Buker

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 07:56:39 PM »
Ken,

So for this exercise, no AC shore connection, and the charger inverter is off before you start wiring. Basically we are taking the transfer switch out of the equation by jumpering these leads. Individually each hot lead from the genset gets connected directly to each hot going to the coaches AC power panel. The neutral from the genset gets connected to the neutral wire from the power panel. The grounds can stay as they are given they are bonded and do not get switched by the transfer switch. So three wires individually are connected from the genset to the AC power panel input wires.

You would then want to turn off the main AC breaker and start the genset, let it run 30 seconds, and then if all is well turn on the main breaker and monitor the voltage using the coach systems and vary the load by adding and removing AC items in the coach. When you are sure it is working well you would then turn off the main AC breaker and wait several minutes and then shut off the genset. You can repeat this process over several days as many times as need be until you are absolutely sure the genset is or is not the source of the issue. Once you know the problem source you can work with the transfer switch people or the Onan folks if need be. Safety first on this, double check the wiring before you fire up the genset and make sure you have the wires labeled or diagramed so they go back as they were. Hope this helps and safety first...

Later Ed

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 04:41:03 AM »
Thanks Ed. That was our next plan of attack. However, it started working. All it took was several firm taps on the module and BAM, power to the coach. Good news its a switch problem and not a genny problem. The wire that had no power yesterday had power today.

We believe the problem to be the original Monaco install. These boxes are labeled 'do not install facing the earth. Not supposed to mounted to a roof, only a sidewall or floor. We think when installed on a ceiling the switch is unable to move properly because of angle/weight etc. Cant say for sure as I have never seen a switch. So, for now it works. For how long on the ceiling in my bay I dont know. I will only be using it for a week in Quartzite and then 4 days in March at a Nascar Rally in Phoenix. After that It will be relocated using junction boxes to a level location somewhere.

I purchased all the wiring etc today in anticipation of applying your idea of jumping it. I will keep those handy and learn to use them if needed till we re-locate the box. Thanks again for all your help and ideas. There sure are a whole bunch of folks here that know way more than I do.

Still would be interested to know how many Monaco Beavers were roof mounted and how many have failed.

Ken
BAC members since 2006

Edward Buker

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 05:27:16 AM »
Ken,

Is this the one you have?
http://www.amazon.com/Esco-ES50M-65N-Automatic-Transfer-Generator/dp/B008VF931S

If so they have large commercial GE relays in them with AC coils. It is the same one installed in my coach. Mine is also installed on the ceiling and I suspect all the Beaver installs are mounted this way. These contactors when energized by the coil move fast enough that you can hear them snap together. I cannot imagine what that comment is all about regarding facing the earth? The springs are heavy duty as is the pulling force of the coils so no matter how they are mounted they should work just fine. Mine has been in service for 12 years on the ceiling. Those 3 pole contactors are some of the more robust contactors made for this purpose and were widely used by Monaco and others.

The relays/contactors are GE CR353ADY39A, you can check and see if that is the number on yours. You could be creating a problem if you have large operating loads tied to the genset, like the air units, while stopping and starting the genset. When the contactor is going through make or break arcing will occur with loads. It is best to remove most loads before the contactors change state. You might try cleaning the contacts with some fine emery cloth or a burnishing tool for cleaning points to rule that out. Maybe the contacts need attention, possibly some debris from manufacturing got on them. You could have a defective relay in the box, based on what you say I would change it out again, if contact cleaning did not help. There is some small chance that when you rap the relay you bounce the contacts and that circuit make and break causes the genset electronics in the inverter to kick on. That is a remote possibility but worth noting if yet another transfer switch has the same problem. Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 12:07:17 PM »
We will be at the Indio rally and would like to see this wire that didn't have power and now it's powerful.  :)  
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9