Author Topic: Engine coolant expansion tank  (Read 14687 times)

Jeremy Parrett

Engine coolant expansion tank
« on: December 22, 2013, 03:48:46 AM »
Gerald,
  after 38,000 miles since 2010 I am now on the 3rd Ford plastic tank and it is now leaking.
    Is there a steel/metal tank we can replace the cheap plastic ($158) lol.....with ??
   Maybe a Freightliner or Cummins  part ??    Thanks,  Jeremy

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Engine coolant expansion tank
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 04:06:26 AM »
Jeremy,
There are a number of inputs re metal expansion tanks if you do a search on "expansion tanks". BCS has one but they really love it as they want ~$400 for it.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 02:35:49 PM »
Jeremy
The one from BCS is pricey but worth it when you get one.  It doesnt come with a plug for the drain hole but it is available at most hardware stores for about $2.  I think it was a 3/16 plug.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 12:55:48 AM »
Steve and Keith,
   Thanks for the info.  I guess 3 x $125 Ford tanks comes close to the BCS price !!
         Jeremy

Carol Moffett

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 01:39:48 PM »
That's right, Jeremy, and when we needed one this last summer we couldn't find a single Ford tank in the whole country!  Were told by everyone that we called that they were no longer making this tank.  Ours was leaking so bad that we couldn't leave the RV park to take it home.  BCS overnighted the metal tank to us and we installed it ourselves the next day!  Awesome service and we won't have to deal with this annoying problem ever again!
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 01:16:05 AM »
FYI   A call to BCS 3 days ago and a new metal surge/expansion tank is on the way to me here in Florida.  Thanks for all the help.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 06:32:40 PM »
The article in this month's FMCA magazine about the new 2015 Monaco Dynasty from ASV mentions that it comes with a steel expansion tank. They're learning.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 02:06:16 PM »
FYI.....BCS shipped me a new black powder coated steel expansion tank.  It is much heavier than the Ford plastic tank. Checking the steel angle mounts I found they were attached to the wood undersill above the engine bay door with drywall screws.One screw had let go.  I replaced these 4 screws with SS lag bolts  to be safe.  The new tank sits right on these  original brackets.  I used new SS bolts ,nuts and lock washes to secure it.
One thing.....the 2 small bleeder hoses have an ID that is smaller than the hose barbs on the new tank. Some soap and a bit of effort solved this issue.  The main coolant hose fits perfectly.
  Having a sight glass is a real bonus.  The drain hole plug form the Ford tank fit the BCS tank .
 Pics to follow.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:07:53 PM by 4115 »

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 05:01:08 PM »
Jeremy, I know the new tank will work well Ty at BCS heard of the problems and designed the new tanks to last
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 01:30:49 AM »
Ran her up to operating temperature and no leaks. BCS Tank is a huge improvement over the Ford product.  Will be at Southern Comfort Rally. Hilton Head Island if anyone would like to see the new tank.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 01:10:18 AM »
Here are pics of the BCS expansion tank installed in my 2000 Beaver Marquis Amethyst.   If you are considering doing this conversion  or not I would strongly recommend replacing the drywall screws that secure..lol....the tank brackets to the engine compartment roof,with decent sized lag bolts.

Richard Crane

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 03:09:40 AM »
Jeremy,
I just ordered a replacement steel tank from Indiana Heat Transfer. I have not received it yet. Their price is about $175. Bill Harris is the engineer there and is very knowledgeable. I had to have them locate the filler pipe on an end since the engine door closes so close to the tank. Their standard location is at the rear of the tank (which would hit the door).
Richard & Judie Crane
2000 Marquis C 12

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 03:20:54 AM »
Richard.
It will be interesting to compare tanks. I cannot fault my BCS tank but you definitely have a great price . The BCS tank is exceptionally heavy duty. Very thick plate. Welding is awesome. Price.........we'll it is the last tank I will ever buy...lol !
      Jeremy

Tom Chace

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 02:40:01 PM »
Quick question:

Where are you finding the leaks?
Has anyone tried plastic weld on the older ones?

Tom

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 03:44:50 PM »
Tom,
  both my previous plastic tanks leaked on seam/welds.  Side seam on first and the cap tube seam second time. The pressure is the issue  18 psi