Author Topic: Batteries and Chargers  (Read 12825 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Batteries and Chargers
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 04:39:13 AM »
Paul,
Since the house batteries are discharged and the chassis units are in the OK range, it would seem the problem is not with the echo charger. If the symptoms were reversed, house batteries OK and chassis bad, I'd suspect the echo charger. In this case, I'd be looking for a problem in the charging path between the inverter/charger and the house batteries.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 05:27:05 AM »
Paul,

The Echo Charger seems to be working fine. It is blinking, indicating it cannot charge because the house bank is less than 13V. I would not replace it until I knew it was bad. My Echo charger is 12 years old and still doing its thing. Although it may not the first choice given the options that are out there, it is a decent unit and reasonably reliable.

The main charger inverter looks like it has lost its mind. Most folks who replace go with a Magnum which by all accounts has proven to be more reliable.

Later Ed

Paul Bowers

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 05:52:30 AM »
Steve and Ed,

Thanks for the reply...

I have looked at and redrawn the flow on the way my unit flows and agree the Echo Charger is doing it's job.  I am going to check the F2 fuse tomorrow and then I am going to pull out all of my batteries (yes, I will take pictures, make diagrams and label cables), pull out my battery tray, it needs attention, and this will allow me to inspect the cables as they come into the battery compartment.  

While the batteries are out, I will bring them home, check recharge and then verify with the local auto parts store they are all good...again.  Once back together if no luck, then time to break into the savings account for a new inverter/charger.

Thanks to all...

William Brosam

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 06:18:20 PM »
Paul ive been researching inverters for a different problem, but i just found some smokin deals on the magnum units if thats what you need to replace

http://www.imarineusa.com/magnumenergyms28122800watt12v100atruesinewaveinvertercharger-1-2.aspx for the 2800watt version(1400$) there is a remanufacturered version for 200$ cheaper on this site also

the matching advanced panel to replace the heart interface one is 180$

Paul Bowers

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 11:25:42 PM »
Bill,

Thanks for the info on the Magnum units.

As a final note...as I don't want to keep this thread going to infinity, but while waiting on my batteries to charge, I began to scout around the engine compartment looking for fuse blocks, bad wiring from squirrels, or just anything that did not look right.

I found a bar that had seven fuses attached to it. Most were ANL 125 amp fuses and upon further inspection, I discovered two of the fuses were blown.  One was to the Generator, and the other to the DC Panel.  I took pictures showed them to the shop owner that does my repair work.  He confirmed they were blown and said to not replace them, but just get the coach to him as he believes the coach had a lightening strike.

He is going to check everything to see what other damage may have been done to the electrical systems as having two blown 125 amp fuses was a major concern for him.  If it is a lightening strike and the electrical systems has been compromised, at least I have insurance to help cover that expense.

Again, thanks to everyone on the forum for their advice and suggestions.

pb

Jill Stevens

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 10:13:26 PM »
Feeling your pain on not trusting the coach!  We have also been feeling the money pit and besides items not fixed properly in the water system, our battery issues continue.  I hope you are able to find what is not operating correctly and love your coach again.  That's where we are right now, so back to the hunt.  We have a Xantrex Prosine unit that appears to be going or gone....

Paul Bowers

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 05:41:38 AM »
Jill,

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  However, I am not sure if I will ever trust the coach again...but then again what are my choices.  Keep it, trade it, sell it?

To keep it will cost more money just for general upkeep as the coach gets older.  Trade it for another unit...if used someone else's problems, if new, heavy depreciation.  Sell it...take a bath with the current market.

I know i have taken care of my coach and not abused it...the better option, I believe, at the present time, is to keep it.  But, I have got to become more knowledgeable on my coach and it's systems so i can perform better preventative maintenance and help troubleshoot smaller problems before they become larger ones.  This forum is a great place to start.

Hope your coach gets repaired to where you can trust yours again as well.

pb