Author Topic: '04 Monterey Entry Door  (Read 4994 times)

Richard McQuillan

• BAC Member
'04 Monterey Entry Door
« on: February 05, 2010, 07:20:15 AM »
[size=14]The entry door on my Monterey has started sticking shut. It begins to open (about 1/2 inch), then the "door arm" mounted at the top of the door (to hold it open) binds and the door becomes very difficult to open any further. This arm is hindged at its center point and the two halfs of it near the hinge pin start to rub together causing the door to require excessive force to open. I can see scrape marks on the two halves of the door arm in the area near the hinge pin but I can't seem to figure out what is causing this rubing or binding of the door arm. It seems to be some sort of alignment problem but I can't indentify a specific alignment error. Any ideas on how to solve this will be greatly appreciated.[/size]
Dick McQuillan
2004 38' Monterey Huntington

George Harwell

Re: '04 Monterey Entry Door
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 10:58:09 AM »
Richard, dry metal tends to bind when put in motion so put a very thin layer of grease on the arms and you will be surprised how well it works. I do that to mine at least 4 or 5 times a year. Be sure to clean off the arms and even vaseline will do the trick. Do not leave excess on the arms, just enough to coat them. Good luck!

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 01:58:19 PM »
If you use a teflon type dry lubricant you will have a cleaner set up. You can buy a small container at bicycle shops that has a hypodermic applicator. Works well in door locks also.

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:05:44 PM »
Our door was doing the same thing.  I found that the door latch pin had moved in a little so the door was twisting when it closed.  I moved the pin out about 1/8 inch so the door would close more evenly and now it does not stick.  Hope this will work for you.

Tim