Author Topic: Cracked Finish  (Read 7590 times)

Edward Buker

Cracked Finish
« on: February 03, 2010, 03:15:30 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has found a method to refinish or reduce the visible signs of a cracked finish on the wood ceiling panels of a Beaver Marquis. My problem is in a 2002 model wiith a thick clear finish to give it depth. This finish is prone to having a crack run through it, from a point source, like a screw passing through it. Given the panel veneer is very thin I think sanding it down to refinish it is out of the question.

For those that do not have cracks appearing in this type finished panel, it may be wise to relieve the areas around screw holes using a countersink. If you taper back the finish around the hole it would eliminate the point source stress caused by the screw that usually originates the crack that runs accross the panel.

Gerald Farris

Re: Cracked Finish
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 03:41:21 PM »
Most if not all of the Marquis coaches in that era have at least one crack in a ceiling panel, and many have several. The only correction that I have ever heard of is to remove the panel and replace the burl inlay. This is an expensive cure for a minor cosmetic problem, so I am going to just live with my cracks.

Gerald  

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 04:17:15 PM »
Gerald,

That is what I have been doing so far. Just hoping that someone has some good ideas on the subject. I tried a piece of clear plexiglass held over my cracked panel to see if dropping the crack below the surface would diminish the visibility and it marginally improved it but not enough to be worth the effort.

It would at least be good to know what others have tried and the results.....later Ed

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 06:01:02 PM »
See the post entitled, Lifting Veneer on Cabinet Doors, for more information on Cracks, posted April 13, 2009  

http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1239658126/s-3/highlight-crack/#num3

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 08:32:21 PM »
Appreciate the insight. Thankfully I have no lifting veneer, just cracks in the clear finish on the Burl ceiling panels. I will keep these glueing techniques in mind just in case....Thanks Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 12:50:26 AM »
The cabinet techs at Beaver Coach Sales service are the perfectionists that built and installed the woodwork for the original Beaver company in Bend.  They are the best in the business.  If you get over their way, they'll give you the most expert advice you can get.  Maybe just a phone call would give you an answer.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 03:20:17 PM »
Joel,

We bought the coach at the Beaver Sales Center this last spring and I did spend some time with the person who does the woodwork and finishing projects. He told me this was a two part catalyzed finish, I think from PPG. He did not know of any good repair techniques, given solvents would probably lift the veneer, and sanding would likely go through it. They remake the panel to resolve the problem but that is a very expensive fix and I'm in Gerald's camp on that one. I guess the fix is to not look up unless we can find something better...

later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 12:20:13 AM »
Ed-
You shouldn't let this situation keep things from looking up for you.

Sorry.  I had no willpower to resist that one.  ;D
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 12:52:45 AM »
That is quite all right, it brought a smile.....

later Ed