Author Topic: Chrome Rocker Panel and Basement Air  (Read 7908 times)

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
Chrome Rocker Panel and Basement Air
« on: January 19, 2014, 03:50:47 PM »
We are recent to BAC due to purchasing a 2001 Beaver Marquis Amethyst, and will be picking it up tomorrow. We are So Pumped, Stoked, Excited, Happy, Etc, Etc, Etc. Oh Yea, I almost forgot, I'm retiring March 31, 2014 from 39 years in the aviation industry and I am So Pumped, Stoked, Excited, well you get the concept. Then we hit the Road.
 I have done quite a bit of research on the Beavers and have looked at past Brochures on the 2001s. My interest is to why some Marquis have the Chrome Rocker strip along the baggage doors and some do not. Nothing in the brochure to reflect this. Also basement air was standard, however some do not have this and instead they have roof air, saw no other option in the brochure.The brochure for the 2001 was printed in 2000. So my curiosity where is there any information on this. There must have been some changes in that model year.  Thanks in advance for your help.
The membership in BAC as I have discovered is a wealth of information, Great Members.

Larry Dedrick
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Edward Buker

Re: Chrome Rocker Panel and Basement Air
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 07:07:01 PM »
Larry,

We have a 2002 Marquis with the stainless strip along the door bottoms. They are stuck on with some double sided tape adhesive and can be done as an aftermarket I am sure. I would guess that was a package or dealer installed option. BCS, maybe Ken Robertson would know for sure. The parts guys may also know where a set could be obtained. The basement air was a proprietary system and was on all the Marquis in 2000 and 2001. I have roof airs on my 2002 and in that year you had an option of roof or basement. I think in 2003 it was all roof air for the Marquis. I may not have it exactly right, others may have better information.

Later Ed

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 12:17:54 AM »
I have three roof a/c units.  The beauty of the roof a/c units is they double as heat pumps; they have dual functions.  On the thermostats I can specify cooling or heating, one or the other, not both at once on each unit.  The three units operate independently from one another.  Also, the beauty of the roof units is if one goes out, then I still have two.  Plus another good thing is it takes only a couple hours, if that, to change out a bad unit with a new one.  So, I have two methods for heating the coach - the heat pumps if power is sufficient with either 50 amp shore power or the generator, or the furnace system which runs off the AquaHot which uses diesel.  Oh, and by the way, my coach has the chrome strips on its lower edge full length.

There was a lot to learn in the aviation industry, and it took some years to learn most of it.  You will have the same experience with your Beaver - lots to learn and it will take years, too.  But this forum will become an invaluable tool in getting a jump start on learning.  Welcome aboard.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 02:02:08 AM by 9124 »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 03:51:14 AM »
Larry,
Ed is right about the basement A/C unit. All 2001 Marquis coaches came with basement air, but a few of them have been modified to remove the basement A/C unit and install roof air. This is an aftermarket modification only, and was never done by the Beaver factory. However, after Monaco bought Beaver in 2002, roof air became an option instead of basement air.

I think that a few of the stainless steel strips on the bay doors were factory installed, but many of them were aftermarket installations. BCS (Beaver Coach Sales) can add them to your coach if you want them installed.

Gerald    
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 05:08:17 AM by 14 »

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 10:58:24 AM »
Welcome to the club Larry.  our '02 doesnt have the full strips but does have the basement air.  You have made a good choise in your rig and will have great adventures in it.  Hope to see you at a BAC rally.
Keith Moffett
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 03:28:47 PM »
WELCOME
Regarding Chrome Strips.....Yes BCS can order and install them however there is a business just across the street from them that may have been the supplier..;I have a Contessa and had them measured and installed when I purchased my current coach.  I suspect BCS price may be higher.  Name escapes me at the moment, but if you are interest let me know and I'll dig it up.
Leah

Mike And Mary Engen

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 06:01:43 PM »

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:32:44 PM »
  Larry,  
 Welcome to BAC  
   We  own a 2000 Marquis Amethyst with the Malachite green color scheme.  Since 2010 we have clocked over 40,000 miles in her.  
  We have replaced the basement a/c SMC unit with an Airex Coleman unit,the electric water heater,and the C12 Cat engine coolant tank (BAC steel tank).
  If you have any questions please ask. My wife and I love this coach.  Drive safe.  Jeremy and Jane.

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 02:58:31 AM »
To All who have responded:
          Thanks much for your time to resolve my curiosity.
          I fortunately have three roof ac's and believe they are the original. We will see how well they are performing when it warms up, here in Ormond Beach FL. When the time does come for replacement it will definitely be with heat pumps unless i'm persuaded otherwise. I also am planning on taking it to the Cat dealer for a thorough evaluation on changing the coolant to ELC and a complete hose change, so I know where I stand with their condition. Also the transmission to TranSynd and filters. I have been reading all the posts to these related subjects and have thus been well informed.

Larry D

Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 02:30:15 PM »
Larry,
If you are buying a 2001 Marquis with three roof air units, it is almost certainly an aftermarket retrofit. Roof air was not an option on the 2001 model, but I guess there is a possibility that the factory made one as a custom order if someone was willing to pay enough.

Gerald