Author Topic: Air leak  (Read 4148 times)

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
Air leak
« on: April 01, 2014, 04:19:52 AM »
Recently I've noticed a hissing air leak in the front right of my '05 Monterey. The hissing only occurs when the engine is running and on shifting to either Drive or Reverse. Could I be right in thinking that because it occurs when in gear that the leak may be in a line which inflates the door seal? I'd be grateful for any suggestions on how to access this area to locate and repair.  Thanks in advance.

Bob
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Lee Welbanks

Re: Air leak
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 05:15:20 AM »
Bob,

That sounds about right on the air leak, drive or reverse have nothing to do with any part of the air system. I have never looked into the door seal other than reading that it was air operated.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 05:38:26 AM »
Our 05 purchased in 06 had a leaking door seal only in gear. BCS patched it and has not leaked since. The door seal is inflated only in gear. Door will not open when trans is engaged.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 02:28:28 AM »
Bob,

It is most likely the door seal.  Have someone in driver's seat with foot on brake and engine running. Have the door open and put coach in forward gear. Seal will inflate and probably leak air. To locate exact spot, spray a soap mixture around the seal.

Replacing the seal is expensive.  I fixed mine by applying crazy glue around and in the hole.  Works great.

Dennis

Bill Stireman

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 12:05:51 PM »
Does my '04 Monterey Laguna have an air seal on the door?

Bill Stireman
'04 Monterey Laguna
400 HP Cat

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 09:57:30 PM »
It probably does.  With the door open, look at the periphery of the inside of the door frame.  There should be what looks like a collapsed bicycle inner tube most of the way around.  With engine running and tranny in gear, the tube should inflate to help cut down air leakage and noise around the door.  Sometimes, for whatever reason - such as getting underway and finding the door incompletely closed, and the copilot reaches over and tries reclosing it - the door gets shut while the tube (airbag) is inflated, and thus it gets damaged or cut.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat