Author Topic: New residential refrigerator  (Read 6269 times)

Elden Strong

New residential refrigerator
« on: February 07, 2014, 12:05:17 AM »
We just had a new Samsung refrigerator in our 2006 Monteray.  Really enjoying it while spending the winter in Palm Springs.  However I am concerned about traveling with it on.  We had traveled 3 to 4 ours and stopped for lunch.  The inside lights did not come on and the refrigerator temp was quite high.  However the freezer temp was still at the recommended 32 degrees.  After power was applied everything returned to normal.  Yes the inverter was on.  My coach has the original 4 battery configuration, but we were assured there would be no problem unless we did a lot of dry camping which we don't.  Anybody have any experience with this situation?
                                                                    Elden

Brad Burgess

Re: New residential refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 01:03:41 AM »
Hi Elden

If you were not running the generator while traveling but the inverter was on then my guess would be that the installers plugged the new fridge into the wrong outlet that feeds the fridge - in order for the fridge to work on the inverter it has to be plugged into the ICEMAKER outlet, not the main fridge outlet.

Brad Burgess

Robert Mathis

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 01:05:34 PM »
Elden, who did the work for you, and approximately what was the total cost? I have been thinking about changing mine. I need to get my windshield replaced since we got several rock chips in it during our trip to Alaska this past summer, and planned to do the swap at the same time.

Elden Strong

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 11:10:37 PM »
 Good thought!  I will check out the AC plug.  Thank you.  I had the refrigerator installed in Harrisburg, Or,  by anew company called Elite Repair & Restoration.  They are three guys who worked for Monaco in the service center and have formed their own company.  Have done several jobs for me, I liked them all.  They were at the rally at 7 Feathers doing repairs etc.  Ph  541- 995-4767.  Price was $3000 installed.

Elden

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 11:07:32 AM »
Elden,

Right move. I am also thinking about doing the same thing. I have done one such convrrsion in my neighbor's Country Coach.  Did everything go in and out of the door, or did they have to remove a window?

Thanks,
Dennis

Elden Strong

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 11:54:03 PM »
Hi again:

They had to take the out big window on the drivers side.  Not a big deal, they cut the mastic and had it out in less than an hour, then brought a forklift, lifted the old refer on it, then brought in the new one same way.  Because the new machine was slightly taller, we lost a small cupboard that had been over the old refer.  My wife really scrambled to find a new space for the occupants - breakfast food crackers etc.  I used to be able to out drink the old icemaker, but that is no longer a problem

Elden

PS:  We brrought the coach in about 8:30AM and drove away around three.  Time depends on how much carpentry work has to be done to complete the job.  Ours was minimal.   EDS

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 12:26:02 AM »
Thannks.  I was hoping the door would work, but taking out the window won't be a big deal.  We don't have a cabinet above, but we will lose two drawers below.

Dennis