Author Topic: LED Porch Light  (Read 4333 times)

Lee Welbanks

LED Porch Light
« on: March 06, 2014, 02:29:15 AM »
Ordered and installed a Starlight SL 1000B Smart LED light replacing the amber one that came on the Beaver. We really like this light, can be set always on or motion sensing which works great when coming back to the coach at night, auto turns off in daylight. Also this thing is really bright at night.
Install was a piece of cake, mounted with the same four screw hole as the old light.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: LED Porch Light
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 06:09:09 AM »
Thanks for that info, Lee-

Many keyless entries can turn on the light by pressing a certain key, but ours didn't come with that feature.  Moonless nights in forest service campgrounds can make getting a key in the locks an adventure, and we've considered retrofitting with the product you used.  We'd likely stay with amber though, to discourage flying insects.

Joel and Lee
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 12:55:26 PM »
Quote from: Joel Ashley
Thanks for that info, Lee-

Many keyless entries can turn on the light by pressing a certain key, but ours didn't come with that feature.  Moonless nights in forest service campgrounds can make getting a key in the locks an adventure, and we've considered retrofitting with the product you used.  We'd likely stay with amber though, to discourage flying insects.

Joel and Lee

Joel,

You'd love this light, get within range and bingo you can see where your going, I might order the amber lens for it to cut down on the critters. Haven't had it long enough to see how bugs like it. I couldn't believe it mounted into the same holes as the old one.

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 07:21:49 PM »
Joel,

Until you install that motion sensor light, you may want to consider investing in a flashlight.   ;)

Larry

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 09:14:51 PM »
I'm invested in at least a dozen flashlights, Larry, but usually don't have one on my person at the moment I need one at the door.  ::)

What really griped me was that though the Monterey model qualified for a keyless entry pad, someone upstairs at Monaco opined that though it was still a Beaver, the pad shouldn't have the simple wire necessary to activate the porch light.  According to BCS techs, my pad cannot be easily retrofitted;  the pad's been replaced once and not with an upgraded version either because the controller isn't the right one, or running the extra wire is cost prohibitive.

Lee, can the Starlight's motion sensor be adjusted so every passing chipmunk or flying moth doesn't keep the light cycling all night?

Joel
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:34:23 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 10:03:32 PM »
Quote from: Joel Ashley
I'm invested in at least a dozen flashlights, Larry, but usually don't have one on my person at the moment I need one at the door.  ::)

What really griped me was that though the Monterey model qualified for a keyless entry pad, someone upstairs at Monaco opined that though it was still a Beaver, the pad shouldn't have the simple wire necessary to activate the porch light.  According to BCS techs, my pad cannot be easily retrofitted;  the pad's been replaced once and not with an upgraded version either because the controller isn't the right one, or running the extra wire is cost prohibitive.

Lee, can the Starlight's motion sensor be adjusted so every passing chipmunk or flying moth doesn't keep the light cycling all night?

Joel
Joel,

According to the included directions it is adjustable. It senses thermal mass not motion so bugs, birds and small animals will not turn it on. Our small dog won't turn it on. I've pulled up to the coach with the Honda and it came on and as soon as you walk around the side of the coach it senses your heat and turns on. So far I really like it, think I will order the amber lens just cause.