Author Topic: AC  (Read 3565 times)

Carl Marchant

AC
« on: March 12, 2014, 02:33:03 PM »
1998 Beaver ac light not on on the heart remote plugged into 50 amp, checked 50 it is good each leg and seems like all is working inside ac and etc. The inv/charging lite is on on the remote to the heart inverter but ac lite did not light. What am I not seeing????
I can turn the inverter off and everything goes. The ac should pass through the inverter if it is off I assume.
Thanks in advance

Gerald Farris

Re: AC
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 02:07:10 AM »
Carl,
I do not understand what your problem is. If everything in the coach is working and the inverter is recharging the batteries, it does not sound like you are having a problem with anything except that you apparently have a malfunctioning indicator light.

Gerald

Carl Marchant

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 05:21:07 AM »
Gerald thanks for reply. I am getting 143 volts in on campground on both legs and batteries have dropped to 11 volts after being connected to shore. The ac lite not on at inverter remote so maybe it blew with the high 143. A few minutes ago I checked the 110 in mh and was getting 143 now 10 minutes later checked again and 118. 12 volt lights are dim like low voltage on the 12 volt side. On six volt house batteries I am getting 6 volts and 12 volt on the large wire going out.( out I assume) Microwave is also not getting enough power. The front 12 volt curtain not getting enough volts to operate.
Maybe this more detail will help
Thanks Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 12:51:23 PM »
Carl,

I do not know what is wrong with the AC grid you are camping in but 143V is too high and inviting trouble. The fact that it dropped from 143V to 118V would lead me to believe that the starting voltage was upped to compensate for voltage drop due to a poorly designed campground electrical grid, but I am not sure. The highest I have seen in my travels is about 128V. This is all assuming that your meter is correct and you may want to check it against another. I hope the high voltage has not damaged your charger. I would check the 30 amp breaker that feeds it on your AC panel and flip it on and off, then see if there is a resettable breaker on the inverter charger that has tripped. Beyond these checks, if it will not work, it may be damaged and need to be repaired or replaced. Basically you need to know that the unit is getting 120V AC fed to it and that a breaker is not tripped that would prevent that on the unit or elsewhere. You should be seeing 13.8V DC or so on your batteries when the inverter charger is working and AC is supplied to the coach.

If you see AC volts in the high 120s+ again and the owner cannot get that fixed I would not stay there. About 127 Volts AC (120V +6%) is a typical max spec.

Later Ed

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 03:17:51 PM »
My surge protector will not allow voltages in excess of 130V to pass on to my coach.  The surge protector stops all the power until it is unplugged which resets the surge protector.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!