Author Topic: Getting close to time for new tires  (Read 13058 times)

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Getting close to time for new tires
« on: March 18, 2014, 03:32:49 AM »
I have read through many of the texts regarding tires - best brands, tire sizes for various coaches and their weights, etc.  My coach has Michelin 295/80R22.5 XZE2+ tires all around - 8 of them.  The tires are getting "long in the tooth."  When I weighed the axles on my coach last year, full of fuel and water and ready for a trip, it showed 16,200 lbs on the steering axle.

Some questions:

I hear Michelin RV tires are back ordered and will not be readily available for a few months.  Is this still true?

In checking on these tires, the Michelin XZE2+, they are very expensive... upwards of $800+ each.  I am thinking there are adequate quality alternative brand tires that are cheaper.  Your opinion?  And what would you recommend I look to - Hankook, Toyo, Bridgestone, Hercules, Continental,...?  I was quoted $535 each tire, all in, for Toyos this afternoon.  I read in the forum here that Toyo dropped its RV tire guarantee.  Soooo... Toyos are non-grata?

What about the Monaco International RV Club?  Still functioning?  Can I join the club and still access Michelin tires for a cheaper club price?

2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

Re: Getting close to time for new tires
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 06:07:13 AM »
David,
Monaco International very recently announced that their price on Michelin tires was going to increase to match the FMCA Michelin discount program. I do not know if it has changed yet, but it is scheduled to as per a Monaco International email.

Gerald  

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 03:18:24 PM »
For what's it worth I went to Hankook tires ~ three years ago and have been very happy.....especially with the price, ride and handling.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 04:25:31 PM »
I've had Yokahama 104ZRs 295/80/22.5 for two years with no issues. Load range H.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 01:13:12 AM »
I put on 5 new Toyo tires last week - M144s.  The price was $475.12 each plus valve stems @ $7.75 plus Equal balancing powder and valve cores @ $30.50 plus FET @ $40.92.  All in the total price was $2,771.45 for the 5 tires installed, or $554.29 each.  I asked the Les Schwab guy about a trade-in value for the Michelins.  He said the tires will go back to Prineville to be considered for re-capping.  If they are good enough to re-cap, then I will get some trade-in value credited to my account.  He didn't know how much that would be.

The DOT date codes for the old Michelin tires was 2708 to 3108.  That makes them about 8 years and 4 months old since their manufacture date.  I do not know when they were installed.  They were on the coach when I bought it.

The DOT date codes for the new Toyo tires is 2216 to 2516.  So, these tires were installed 5 months subsequent to their manufacture date.

The quote from Les Schwab for Michelins for 5 tires was $4,565.80, or $1,985.60 more for 5 tires, or $397.12 more per tire.  This cost does not consider the savings using the FMCA Michelin Advantage program... which I think would have saved about $200 per tire.  Are Michelins worth an extra $200 per tire?  Maybe in a few years I will have an opinion based upon my experience.

The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 02:46:12 AM »
I put on 5 new Toyo tires last week - M144s.  The price was $475.12 each plus valve stems @ $7.75 plus Equal balancing powder and valve cores @ $30.50 plus FET @ $40.92.  All in the total price was $2,771.45 for the 5 tires installed, or $554.29 each.  I asked the Les Schwab guy about a trade-in value for the Michelins.  He said the tires will go back to Prineville to be considered for re-capping.  If they are good enough to re-cap, then I will get some trade-in value credited to my account.  He didn't know how much that would be.

The DOT date codes for the old Michelin tires was 2708 to 3108.  That makes them about 8 years and 4 months old since their manufacture date.  I do not know when they were installed.  They were on the coach when I bought it.

The DOT date codes for the new Toyo tires is 2216 to 2516.  So, these tires were installed 5 months subsequent to their manufacture date.

The quote from Les Schwab for Michelins for 5 tires was $4,565.80, or $1,985.60 more for 5 tires, or $397.12 more per tire.  This cost does not consider the savings using the FMCA Michelin Advantage program... which I think would have saved about $200 per tire.  Are Michelins worth an extra $200 per tire?  Maybe in a few years I will have an opinion based upon my experience.

I installed Toyo's on my Contessa almost 4 years ago. They have been great tires for me. Ours had Goodyears on it when we bought it and they were due changing.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 04:15:07 AM »
I have Hankooks that are dated in 2010 on the coach since I bought it in March 2014.  After getting used to the coach and getting the inflation right, they ride well and show no signs of wear or side wall issues.  I recommend them.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Doug Allman

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 01:20:05 PM »
Since our first Beaver in 1994 we have had Michelins. As we traveled the western half of the US and the south east the last 22 years we have always been able to get a replacement Michelin in the 80 R 22.5 size at any large tire dealer/truck stop off the shelf.
With the new brands appearing does anyone have any info on their availability throughout the country. We have found that it is not is it going to happen but when is it going to happen. We will also be purchasing 8 new tires next year 295 80R225 and are very interested in quality of everything all have mentioned but also want very readily availability across the country as we travel.

This past summer we have had the experience with Hankook pickup tires, 32000 miles on, that no one had in stock in 3 states. They shred real quick when towed. We finally ordered a full set of Michelins for the 2015 Ford F-150 after 2 weeks delay. If that is any clue then we do not want to buy where we have to wait for days or weeks for a coach tire to be available.

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 01:50:01 PM »
Two years ago while in Yuma we damaged a Michelin tire on the coach.  At all the Yuma tire dealers there was one Michelin in the size we needed - 295/80R22.5.  The closest tires outside Yuma were at Houston or thereabouts.  That tire's installed cost was $960 as I recall.  We were glad insurance paid for most of it.

I have been told the 295/80R22.5 sized tire is mostly used on larger motor coaches, and that is why this size tire costs a couple hundred dollars more than a commonly used large truck tire.  It seems to be a supply/demand driven cost.

Bob Bulot

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 03:36:58 PM »
Let me add my vote to the Hankook list. 

Went to Pete's Tires in Indio, CA earlier this year as the go-to dealer for the FMCA good-guy deal on the Michelins I was replacing.  Was quoted a little north of $5000 total for 6 of the 295 80R 22.5's.  When the sales guy saw me noticeably gulp, he recommended Hankooks at almost exactly half the price.

I was nervous about them, as the Michelins had been such excellent tires, but after driving on them for several months, can say that they ride and handle around 98% as well as the Michelins.  Durability?  Who knows but if they only lasted half as long as the Michelins, I wouldn't be out anything.

BTW, can't recommend Pete's Tires highly enough.  Great experience.

Bob Bulot

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 03:25:31 AM »
I have Hankooks that are dated in 2010 on the coach since I bought it in March 2014.  After getting used to the coach and getting the inflation right, they ride well and show no signs of wear or side wall issues.  I recommend them.

Add my name to the Hankook Fan Club.  Half the price of Michelin's, 98% of the ride.  If your near So Cal, I recommend Pete's Tires in Indio, CA.  Great customer experience.