Author Topic: air up suspension from air compressor  (Read 590 times)

Dan Johnson

• BAC Member
air up suspension from air compressor
« on: April 22, 2024, 12:20:07 AM »
I am putting a new air dryer on due to being old and rusted up.  Can I tee into the in line from the compressor so I can air up the suspension before starting the motor?  Or would the air go backward through the engine air compressor?
2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald
Cat C-12
Nebraska

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: air up suspension from air compressor
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 08:45:33 AM »
Our rig has been stored for some years, parked off-level and dumped for good rain runoff.  When I needed to level/lift it up a couple summers back for more room to work underneath without starting the engine, I used my small 2 gallon Makita portable compressor and connected to the coach’s auxiliary air quick-connect.  It refilled the long-empty air tanks allowing use of the HWH control pad.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 12:56:18 PM »
Dan
Your service bay should have a quick coupler near the tank drain valves you can connect an air line there and air up the whole coach .
This is the connection a towing company will use to maintain air on the system in order to air up the suspension and have air to release the parking brake so they can tow it.

Once you have the suspension aired up you will want to drain the tanks ( the air suspension should stay up ) the air line from the dryer to the wet tank will be pressurized until the wet tank is drained.
Check the supply line fitting on the braided supply line before you get in too deep they have a habit of getting very rusty requiring replacement of the line other than that it should be a straight forward replacement.

If the quick coupler is not in the rear service bay ( passenger  side rear) try in the electrical bay ( driver's side side front) some of the Beaver coaches had it there.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 10:43:57 PM »
Seems like some coaches can also have the quick connect and tank drain valves in with the front generator.  Makes more sense there, for tow truck situations, than ours in the battery bay;  the tow truck driver has to string a long hose from his truck, over our passenger mirror, across the side of the Coach, and “tie it off” in or around the battery bay.  Go figure.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Lee Welbanks

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 11:51:35 PM »
My 06 PT has air connections near the right side of the generator, one is a drain the other is a quick connect to air up the whole coach, there is also one in the engine bay left side frame rail, it only airs up part of the system.
Also have a quick connection driver side first basement above the fuel tank.
06 Patriot Thunder
C13 525hp

Dan Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2024, 11:19:39 PM »
Last fall I connected my large air compressor to the fitting in the filter bay but  for about 5 minutes but no suspension raise. I heard sounds from the front of the coach but no movement. Do I have something different?
Cat C-12
Nebraska

Dan Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2024, 11:44:41 PM »
Eric
If I need a new braided line, where can I find one?
Dan
Cat C-12
Nebraska

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2024, 12:51:14 AM »
Dan
Any good truck parts supply store should be able to supply that hose but you'll have to take the old one with you as they will need to know the fitting sizes and length.
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2024, 07:55:19 AM »
Last fall I connected my large air compressor to the fitting in the filter bay but  for about 5 minutes but no suspension raise. I heard sounds from the front of the coach but no movement. Do I have something different?

An external compressor may take time to fill the coach’s two tanks.  You’d still need to use a control pad to tell the system what to do with that air.  While filling my tanks remotely I kept an eye on the dash air gauge needles until I got past the minimum 90 psi and up to 120+, then I could use the pad buttons to air up.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat