Author Topic: Anti algae additive  (Read 6750 times)

Dennis Crawford

Anti algae additive
« on: March 20, 2014, 01:28:56 PM »
Does anyone have a recommendation for a fuel additive that kills algae and protects against further growth? If so, where can I buy it?

Thanks,

Dennis

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: Anti algae additive
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 02:00:45 PM »
Quote from: Dennis Crawford
Does anyone have a recommendation for a fuel additive that kills algae and protects against further growth? If so, where can I buy it?

Thanks,

Dennis

Assume you are talking about algae in your diesel  fuel tank. Any good diesel fuel biocide will kill the algae but you need to get the water and algae out of the tank and there are several ways to do that. If you have a drain in the bottom of your fuel tank it is a quick but messy job. Open the plug and drain it out and it can be from a few ounces to a bit more.

My son who services several irrigation pumps with 1000 gallon fuel tanks puts a valve to drain and uses transmission fluid which causes the water to mix with the diesel to disburse it. In the boating industry there are "fuel polishing" contractors that filters and cleans the fuel and your tank and they do RV's also.

Google Diesel fuel biocide or check with a local CAT or Cummins dealer for specific reccomendations as to brand. Be sure to have spare fuel filters. I had it occur in a 1991 Baronett and was able to drain the tank and it solved the problem.

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 02:42:05 PM »
Richard,

I don't have a problem yet, I just want to prevent one.

Dennis

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 03:16:02 PM »
Dennis,
Microbial growth (commonly called algae) in a Beaver fuel system is not common unless you live/store it in a very humid area, and you do not keep the fuel tank completely full when not in use. However, if you would like to be proactive and use a biocide as a preventative, you can buy one at most Walmart stores, especially those in an area with a nearby marine industry. Be sure to do your research, and do not confuse a standard diesel additive with a biocide. While a biocide is a diesel additive, not all diesel additives are a biocide.

Gerald  

Orman Claxton

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 03:56:34 PM »
Dennis
Don't overlook your Aqua-Hot (if you have one)
Filter and Nozzle will clog fast
Pri-ocide  can be purchase sometimes at Camping world, or Worldwide RV (my favorite)
Pri-ocide is made by Power Service in Texas
Thanks

Orman

http://petroleumservicecompany.com/power-service-bio-kleen.html

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 04:00:31 PM »
My favorite is BIOBOR from West Marine or many Auto Parts Stores.   My screen filter has been clear for 2 years now. Also the Hurricane Furnace has run trouble free.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 04:28:52 PM »
Is this stuff put into the fuel tank with every fill-up, once per month, once a quarter, once per year, or what is the recommendation?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 12:20:31 AM »
Dennis and David-

I use Power Service products.  I like their DieselKleen and BioKleen.  I really like their people, who have been exceedingly helpful in the past.  The BioKleen is what you seem to be asking about.  Their products are often found at farm stores and some auto parts houses and hardware chain stores, though sometimes BioKleen isn't stocked.  You can get it straight from Power Service if needed.  I would think a farm store would have it around Hermiston, David.

BioKleen can be applied as a so-called shock treatment at 1 oz. per 20 gallons of fuel, so about 5 oz per full Beaver tank.  That's if you suspect biogrowth already in your fuel.  But in that case, just killing the algae may not keep its residue from clogging ports and filters, and tank draining or cleanout as Richard points out may be necessary, or at least a shot of Power Service's Clear-Diesel.  For preventive use, a pint of BioKleen will last awhile, requiring less than 2 oz. per tank and only infrequently - maybe once a year just before storage - or if going into a very long storage or storage with only a partial tank situation.  As Gerald said, storage with a full tank is your best preventative move.

Check out the company and their products here:
http://powerservice.com/about/

-Joel
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 12:30:50 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 02:01:31 PM »
We winter on Mustang Island offshore of Corpus Christi.  Whether or not it's necessary I've been adding a couple of ounces of Biobor to the tank when we arrive.  Being a seashore it's a pretty humid environment.  I don't know if it really is needed, but it is inexpensive protection.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 04:16:59 AM »
David,
I put in the recommended amount of BIOBOR TM once a month when traveling and also on the last fill before parking for a while.  I also use Cetane Boost as per instructions when traveling . My C12 is averaging 10mpg on flat Georgia roads with 100300 miles on the clock. My Hurricane  furnace hasn't missed a beat in 2 years of heavy use.