Author Topic: Rear suspension  (Read 6953 times)

Jerry Sanders

Rear suspension
« on: March 24, 2014, 06:38:30 PM »
Greetings from a new owner.  We purchased our 2000 Marquis last fall and have been chasing minor problems ever since.  The forum has been a wonderful source for me to answer questions abour our rig.  My current problem is with the airbag suspension.  When the coach inflates the bags after it has been parked the driver's side rear is the last to reach full height.  If the coach is left parked with the bags inflated, nothing changes.  The coach does not sag at all.  When we travel down the highway after 30 to 50 miles the left rear of the coach starts to sag and after 100 to 200 miles the sag is substantial and it has once sounded an alarm requiring us to stop and cycle the auto level system and to reinflate the airbags.  I am looking for some help in what direction to take in resolving the problem.

Jerry

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
Re: Rear suspension
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 08:10:28 PM »
We had a similar problem and we replaced the rear solenoid on both sides on the suspension. Also do you have the IDS jacks in addition to air leveling
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 11:12:17 PM »
The air leveling and hydraulic leveling systems on a 2000 Marquis (if equipped with both systems) are both made by HWH. Most of these models that have the optional air leveling system are also equipped with the OEM hydraulic leveling, and the two systems are combined into one control panel.

I have never had a ride height problem like the one Jerry is referring to, but it is probably related to a height sensor. However, it could be a problem with the air control valve, it is more likely the height sensor. The air leveling system seams like it functions OK from the description, and the air control valves are used by it, but the height sensors are not. The height sensors are only used for ride height.

Gerald    

Jerry Sanders

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 04:03:30 AM »
Gerald,  Thanks for the input.  Our coach does have both jacks and air leveling in that combined unit.  I had the coach in the shop today for service on the Allison and to change the engine coolant.  While it was there they tried to trouble shoot the suspension and were unable to recreate my problem.  Driving the coach failed to have the rear sag as we have experienced. Are the ride height units mechanical or electric?  We will just continue using the coach until the problem resurfaces.

Jerry

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 04:55:12 AM »
I can recommend Beaver Coach Sales in Bend. They were able to fix ours I think it ran about $1000 for both put at least our rear suspension stopped sagging
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 02:21:20 PM »
Jerry,
The height sensors, one at each side in the rear, are electrical sensors that are mechanically linked to the suspension. In most cases, the mechanical linkage is the most troublesome part of the height sensor system.

Gerald

Jerry Sanders

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 05:45:40 PM »
Thanks to Gerald and John for the input.  We are due to be back in the Bend area later this year so it looks like a stop at BCS is order.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 01:19:26 AM »
Gerald,
Do the height sensors activate the appropriate air bags if they sense height needs adjustment? How do they interact with the tricycle air bag adjustors?
Thx, Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 02:39:23 AM »
Steve,
The height sensors send a signal to the appropriate air controls to either increase or decrease the air pressure in the air bags to maintain the correct ride height.

I am not sure what you mean by the question "How do they interact with the tricycle air bag adjustors?". It sounds like you are calling the height sensors by another name in your question when you refer to "tricycle air bag adjustors".

Gerald

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 04:46:14 AM »
Jerry, my air suspension seems to do random one-off types of things.  Now I only tend to worry if it happens several times.  

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 06:08:54 AM »
Gerald,
I was referring to the mechanical adjustors that control air bag inflation. There are 2 on the rear, each controlling the air bag height on their respective sides and on on the front controlling front air bag height. Adjustment is via a hose clamp that sets arm height connected to the respective air valve.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp