Author Topic: Battery Equalization  (Read 3275 times)

Adam Hicklin

Battery Equalization
« on: March 27, 2014, 05:50:57 AM »
Been wondering about battery equalization.  My 6 lead acid 6V batteries are about 4 years old and I have never equalized and I doubt the previous owner ever did.  When should this be done and what is the process for doing it?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Battery Equalization
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 06:20:00 AM »
Adam,
Check your inverter manual. My Prosine is pretty straight forward; have charger on, press "Equalization" for a few seconds and it goes into the correct mode. Once equalization is completed it will switch to charge and then float mode. You should have all 12v loads disconnected as the voltage is ramped up fairly high and could damage some of the equipment.
Trojan recommends the following from their web site::
"Equalizing should be performed when a battery is first purchased (called a freshening charge) and on a regular basis as needed. How often this might occur with your battery will vary depending on your application. You will need to monitor your battery voltage and specific gravity to determine when equalization is needed. For example, it is time to equalize if the measured specific gravity values are below manufacturer’s recommended values after charging (recommended value for Trojan Deep Cycle batteries is 1.285 +/- .007 at 80º F (27º C)). Equalizing is also required if the specific gravity value of any individual cell varies 30 points or more. In addition, reduced performance can also be an indicator that equalizing is necessary. Equalization should be performed when individual battery voltages in a battery pack range greater than 0.15 volts for 6-volt batteries or 0.30 volts for 12-volt batteries."
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp