Author Topic: New LED lights not working  (Read 4802 times)

Roger Rempe

New LED lights not working
« on: June 21, 2014, 02:19:56 PM »
Yesterday I replaced a bunch of interior under cabinet halogen bulbs with LED's that were recommended as dimmable and purchased from M4Products. All work well except for one three light circuit. During installation I'd check each new LED and they worked. Shortly after installing the last one, all three lights went dead. When I press the light switch the switch button itself lights but, not the lights. I replaced the LED's with the original halogens and now they also don't work. The other circuits in the gang switch work. Anyone else run into this and are there any suggestions on what the problem can be? Also, I've attached an image of the gang light switch. I don't know how to remove the face plate so that I can pull the switch out to test voltage.
Another interesting thing I noticed is that the lights that do work make a humming noise when dimmed but, not when fully lit. Can this cause damage?    

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: New LED lights not working
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 04:44:34 PM »
I have been running the leds for about 2 years, they do work best at full output and will flicker at mid point to low. I have not heard any humming at all. Your issue sounds like a circuit problem you may want to check and see if you have power on both sides of the switch.  the switch plate should just pull off and the touch plate will be below.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:46:11 PM by 1651 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 09:01:32 PM »
Seems like I had a similar problem when trying to replace my fluorescent overheads.  Since they draw less current they shouldn't overload anything, but apparently LED's are not an exact science yet, and some Chinese ones (aren't they all?) are bad out of the box.  The same may be true for the little J10 LED replacements.  I had to exchange several flourescent replacements before I got a set of good ones that worked and didn't blow a multiplex fuse.  It could also be that a circuit was inadvertantly shorted during the switchout.

You have an '06 Monty like mine, so your multiplex fuses should be in the bathroom cabinet over the toilet.  This photo may help you track down the troubled circuit and the correct 10 amp fuse.  Click on the image to bring up a larger version.  BTW, next time you are shopping auto parts, grab some 10 amp spares for this cabinet.  There should already be spares in there you can use now, unless a previous owner used them.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 09:11:56 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 12:28:22 AM »
Roger,
All the dimmable LEDs I've installed in our coach make a slight humning sound so think it is normal. Not sure what is going on with your lights but suspect a GFI or fuse since the halogens don't work either. In some home circuits LEDs will not work since they don't present the needed load to the transformer. I have a set of under cabinet halogens that exhibit this, Tried to replace them with LEDs but no go. Read the literature on the original installation and found a load was required.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Roger Rempe

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 01:10:30 PM »
Sorry about my late reply. Kept waiting for an email notification for replies to my post but, none came. I even had checked the "notify me" box before I sent it! Good thing I checked back on my own. Probably user error on my part!  ;)
Apparently, when I was replacing my halogens with LEDs I blew a spade fuse for those lights. Replaced it and all of my new lights are working great except for a humming noise when they are dimmed. Contacted the supplier and he said that can be normal. However, it bothered me that I couldn't pry that switch plate off without damaging. Took your advice and let well enough for it for now as the switch wasn't the problem.