Author Topic: TIRE LIFE SPAN  (Read 9772 times)

Grant Stanton

TIRE LIFE SPAN
« on: April 13, 2014, 01:49:52 PM »
I have always figured that the life span of a tire is five years and then throw them out even though they still look good. What is everyone else doing with their tires?

Gerald Farris

Re: TIRE LIFE SPAN
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 03:07:04 PM »
Grant,
I normally use 7 years as an approximate replace time, however that depends on tire condition and location. I am much more prone to replace the steer tires for a marginal issue than the drivers. Michelin states 10 years as a replacement time regardless of condition, and I have seen 7 year old Michelins that I would still use, but not as a steer tire, and I have seen 5 year old Michelins that you could not give me. So, I am saying that there is no hard and fast set rule that I use, but more of a set of guidelines, depending on age and condition. However, I very regularly inspect all tires for damage and wear, and I start carefully inspecting tires for aging around the 5 year mark.

Gerald  

Keith Oliver

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 05:28:22 PM »
I  recently purchased a "new to me" coach and had the dealer put new tires on it, as the originals were dated 0550 to 0610, so were 8 years old.  They still looked good, and with only 23000 miles, showed no wear.

I discussed tire age with several dealers while in the hunt, and was told that, in that part of California (Palm Springs desert area) at least, the dealers were legally permitted to sell no coach with tires older than 5 years.  I bought in Ploenix, and my purchase was not subject to that rule, but I asked the history of my coach and was told it had come from California.

On taking it home to BC. I spoke to a neighbour ( I know, beware attributing knowledge to neighbours) who once owned and operated a tire retreading Co. serving the trucking industry.  He confirmed that the biggest enemy of the casing life of a truck tire is heat.  That when re-treading, they looked for methods that would limit the time the tire would spend in the oven, so as to get longer tire life and more retreads on each casing.  They paid little or no attention to the date of manufacture, but tried to get the casings to outlast the warranty period of the retread.  

So this confirms what I now take to be the general rule, if your coach is spending much time in the desert heat in the summer, you will need to watch your tire dates much more closely than if your coach never sees that kind of heat.  I respect Gerald's comments above, and will keep the same eye on my new tires that he suggests.  My own usage will likely continue to be of a "Low heat" kind, so I expect to get at least 7 years from any tire.

Robert Mathis

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 11:27:02 PM »
The biggest problem these days is that the tire manufacturers have been required by the Federal Government to change the tire compounds to make them more bio-degradable. That's why the carcasses deteriorate long before the treads were out in our type of service. The carcasses on over the road trucks have a much shorter lifespan vs treadwear sinc ehtey are in constant use, and therefore heat is the enemy there. I replaced all eight of my tires this past spring, before leaving for Alaska, with about 35K miles, and lots of tread left. Every one of them had serious cracking inside and were dangerous in my opinion. They were 6 years old and had always been stored inside a building when not in use.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:55:10 PM »
Robert,
  What make were the 6 year old tires you replaced??
 I am replacing   44/05    Bridgestone 11R22.5 drive tires  on Friday with 4 new 42/13  Michelin XZE2 11R22.5's that I purchased for $450 each.  
Michelin tell me these tires are good for 10 years.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 05:14:58 PM »
Jeremy -

44/05?  42/13?  Those look like the tire manufacture dates - yes?  If so, then your Bridgestones are about 8 1/2 years old?

I like the price at $450 each and I will need to replace mine either this year or next.  What size are the new tires?  Mine are 295/80R22.5 Michelin XCoach XZE2+.  My front end weighs over 16k pounds when full of fuel and water.  So I need front tires that will show a capacity near 8k each.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 10:41:31 AM »
David
With my imited understanding of all things tires, I have always felt it better not to exceed 80% of capasity on weight.  That way if ont front corner weighs 500 pounds more than the other it is not excceding its individual weight limit.  It would also seem to be a problem if your front weighs 16K and your tires support 16K and you hit a chuck hole or bridge strip at highway speed.
Gerald suggested 12R-22.5 on ours which it happened to already have whenwe got it so I dont know their weight capabilities but when we do replace them it will be a comprable Michelin.  Interestingly we hat ouirs weihed in Canyonville and the front axle was 14K.  Yours is the same as ours but 2 years newer so why the difference do you think?

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 02:41:44 PM »
David, yes, the weeks and year are stamped on the tires.....ie  week 44   year 05 for my old Bridgestones which are R250  11R22.5's  and therefore have a load rating of G.....not enough for my 2000 Marquis Amethyst.  The Michelins I am installing on the drive axle are XZE2 11R22.5   which have a load rating of H .
I have R250 Bridgestone 295 R80 22.5 as steer tires dated 42/10  week 42 and year 2010. I am going to put them on the tag axle and install 315 80 22.5 's as steer tires......probably Michelins.
 I will add that there is absolutely no sign of rot or cracking on the Bridgestone 11R22.5's.  I have always parked the coach on plywood when on cement pads to prevent tire rot.  I do not like  tire covers as I believe they can cause the tires to overheat; instead I park in shaded areas and only use covers if in direct sunlight.
I built a 50X14 foot pad beside my home in Vero Beach..  It it fibre cement with rebar around the perimeter and across the wheel 'trenches'  .The rim and trenches are 2 feet wide and 1 foot deep...the rest is 6 inches deep with mesh for added strength.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:52:49 PM by 4115 »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 02:46:57 PM »
Jeremy,
You should carefully measure the clearance on your front tires before you install 315/80/22.5 tires. There are very few 2000 Marquis coaches that will clear 315/80/22.5 tires on the steer axle.

Gerald

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 02:57:26 PM »
Gerald. Yes I will check the clearances . If  I have any doubt then will I install 295 80R22.5's instead.

Robert Mathis

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 01:55:11 PM »
Jeremy, I replaced the original Goodyears with Michelins, using the Monaco Club to purchase them. I saved well over $200/tire. The Michelins ride much nicer than the old Goodyears.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 10:19:27 PM »
Robert,
  just installed 4 Michelin XZE2 11r22.5 load range H on my drive axle. WOW !!  What a lovely ride compared to the 8 1/2 year old Bridestone 11r22.5 load range G.!! I might use the Monaco Club to buy new Michelin steer tires and put the 295 80r 22.5 Bridgestones on the tag axle.
I like that these new Michelins are US made. According to the grapevine Goodyear has moved RV tire production to China  !!
The Michelins are 42/13 and cost me $450 each.  I gave St Lucie Tire and Battery (Commercial Division) the old Bridgestones so they waved the $50 per tire install and balance fee !!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:29:38 PM by 4115 »

Robert Mathis

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 10:23:06 PM »
I was very happily surprised with the ride with the new Michelins, and they were a lot less than new Goodyears. Lots smoother especially after they heat up a little.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 10:31:14 PM »
Hooked on Michelin now !!