Author Topic: Towing with Roadmaster tow dolly  (Read 4470 times)

Ted Couch

Towing with Roadmaster tow dolly
« on: April 01, 2014, 02:18:35 AM »
We are looking to tow our Saab behind our 1989 40 foot Beaver Marquis and wonder if there are wires in the wiring harness for electric brakes. I understand that I am in need of a brake controller for the cab to be able to use the electric brakes on the dolly. I have noticed that the 7-prong receiver is the same visually as the 7-prong plug in on the tow dolly. Does that mean that there is a wire already run in the coach? Thanks for any information you can give. We are going to be using the dolly for the first time this year as we are now officially retired! Hemet here we come (in January). 8)

Gerald Farris

Re: Towing with Roadmaster tow dolly
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 03:31:40 AM »
Ted,
The 7-prong RV connector on the back of your coach has the capability of carrying wires for electric brakes, but there is a very low chance that the wiring is already in the connector. The only coaches that have electric brake wiring running through the 7-prong connector are the ones that have been pulling a trailer. Since the vast majority of Beaver owners tow a car 4-wheels down, there is no need for electric brake wiring, so it was never installed.

Gerald  

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 03:00:17 PM »
If your coach has an electric brake controller near the pilot's seat (like mine does), then your coach has almost certainly been wired for electric brakes.  The electric brake controller in my coach was placed on the left side of the dash, attached onto the bottom of the dash - right next to the Cobra CB radio.  Plus, in pictures provided by my coach's prior owner he was pulling an enclosed car-hauler trailer housing a Miata.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:17:16 PM by 9124 »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Ted Couch

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 10:14:53 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. We are going to take the coach Friday to have a brake controller installed and sounds like the wiring will need to be done as well. Ted

Keith Oliver

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 02:31:43 AM »
Ted:

I had the same issue.  It was solved by running a 12Ga wire the full length of the coach,  zapped to things and screwed to other things.  Its not an easy job, so if you can get someone to do it, that is preferable to doing it yourself.  Good luck.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 01:12:23 PM »
Ted,
Most coaches have two spare unused wires that are run from the LF electrical bay to the receiver. So if you use those wires, it will save you the trouble of running wire the full length of the coach.

Gerald