Author Topic: Tires  (Read 16115 times)

Gerald Farris

Re: Tires
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 05:48:48 AM »
Without knowing who said what when the tires were ordered, it is difficult to say who is responsible for the wrong tires being installed on your coach. The facts are that your coach came with 11R22.5 load range H (16 ply rating) tires that were minimal for the weight of the coach. The G rated tires that you have are rated at 435 pounds less per tire than the H rated tires that the coach came with.  

In my opinion the tire dealer and the RV dealer are both liable, but I am a retired mechanic and not a lawyer. If you make a little noise Monday about the legal liability of installing underrated (unsafe) tires on your coach, the RV dealer will probably seek a solution to your problem whether he has any liability under Florida law or not. However it would be best if you knew how much your coach weighed, so you would know how much the tires are overloaded. You may have to pay the difference between the 11R22.5 and the 295/80/22.5 tires, but that will be minimal. However remember that they are your tires and you have to make sure that you are safe.

With the G rated tires that you have, your front axle will only carry 12350 pounds. I think that all of the 2000 Marquis coach front axles were rated at 13200 pounds, which is all that the 11R22.5 H rated tires will carry. The 14600 pound front axle rating that you stated earlier would require at least a 12R22.5 tire that was not installed on Marquis coaches until 2002 to the best of my memory.  

Gerald

Gerald Farris

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 01:15:33 PM »
Jeremy,
I hope that the BAC forum has been an important source of information for you in your RV education. The learning curve can be quite tricky, so we work very hard to provide you with the most accurate an informative information that we can.

If you would like to talk further about your tire problem or anything else, just give me a call sometime. My personal contact information is in the directory or in Beaver Tales under club officers. I am the Region 4 Vice President.

Gerald

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 06:06:30 PM »
Gerald,

Many thanks for your help. I must get the coach weighed. Then I can go to the dealer and resolve this issue.  Unfortunately I am unable to find the specs for the 2000 Marquis series.  Beaver records only go back to 2002.  Here is the link to the specs I found most helpful. http://www.beavermotorcoaches.com/products/archive/02marquis/specs.html
As with my other issues mentioned on this fabulous website, I will post the solutions as they arise.

Jeremy

2000 Marquis Amethyst
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 06:16:33 PM by 4115 »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 10:04:14 PM »
The axle weight ratings for your coach should located on the left wall, just above the floor, and right behind the driver's seat.

Gerald

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 10:05:24 PM »
We just went with XZA 2 Energy Tires on the front of our Beaver. They are 275/70 R22.5 J rated tires replaced the Goodyear G670 275/70 R22.5 H rated tires that had a rivering wear issue and we had a sidewall failure this summer. Goodyear stands behind their tires but have been unable to address the wear issue.

In our case the dealer sells the Michelin, Bridgestone, and Goodyear besides the off brands (Boulevard Tire with 22 locations in FL) and they sold me Michelin cheaper than a Bridgestone. We found the Michelins to be very round and they required no weight to be balanced. They were also only built only three weeks earlier.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 10:45:53 PM by 14 »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 10:24:29 PM »
Richard,
The only reason that Michelin was cheaper than Bridgestone for your coach was the fact that you are running a very uncommon tire size with limited availability in the Bridgestone line.

There is no doubt that Michelin makes and excellent tire and at the same price, I would not hesitate to purchase them, but in the 295/80/22.5 size that we are discussing they were more than $150 per tire more expensive the last time I checked.

Gerald