Author Topic: Idle six months: add additive to dieslel?  (Read 3865 times)

Ron Langdon

Idle six months: add additive to dieslel?
« on: April 21, 2014, 09:22:02 PM »
We have been enjoying the Palm Springs area since November and I am wondering if I should add anything to the fuel. Our 2008 Patriot Thunder has a C13 with 25,000+ miles in it.  I replaced the fuel filters last September before leaving Bellingham. I've run the engine a few times and used the Aqua Hot (diesel side) occasionally. Appreciate any advice which I have found to be universally good here. Thanks!

Gerald Farris

Re: Idle six months: add additive to dieslel?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 11:19:38 PM »
Ron,
You should not need to add anything to your fuel.

Gerald

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 11:27:28 PM »
I would treat the diesel with Biobor. It is available at some gas stations and most  marine stores.  I also use Cetane Boost to add lubricant to the diesel and emulsify any moisture .
Algae loves warm diesel fuel.if you see brown pepper like stuff in the pre filter screen ,that will be algae.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 02:39:11 AM »
Ron,
I could agree with Jeremy's answer if you were in Florida, but you are in the California desert. Microbes (commonly called algae) only grow in diesel if there is water in the fuel, and the possibility of picking up water in your fuel in an area with virtually no humidity is almost non existent. Therefore, I said that you do not need to add anything to your fuel.

Gerald  

Ron Langdon

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 06:20:18 AM »
I was thinking the injectors might need a little cleaning as the fuel passed through. But thats what I know. Thanks Jeremy and especially Gerald for the clarification and additional education.