Author Topic: Replacing water pump that drips  (Read 4146 times)

William Brosam

Replacing water pump that drips
« on: April 22, 2014, 04:17:08 PM »
So i walked by the motorhome wondering why there was a small pool of water under the coach on the curb side, i started poking around and found the water pump case dripping.

i slide into the wet bay and tightened all the bolts and it leaked more...

so i pulled the pump and searched at night for a replacement. plugged in back in so i could shower in the morning.

went to ppl and replaced it with this flojet model.
86-8336 for 88$
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/12-volt-water-pumps.htm

originally i had a shurflow pump but those were more expensive and didn't see the need at this time. the FLojet is so quiet i had to touch it to know if it was on or not.

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
Re: Replacing water pump that drips
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 05:33:10 PM »
My pump has apparently had a slight leak for some time causing the motor to fail. The pump was installed with the motor on the bottom, any leakage ran down over and eventually entering and ruining the motor. When I replace the temporary fix I hope to rotate the pump such that any future leaks will not run down affecting motor or wiring.
Just a thought for others who may want to check their pump orientation.
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

William Brosam

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 05:34:54 PM »
to flip the pump would require complete rearrange of the plumbing at 5$ a fitting i said no thanks and just put in in similar position. but eliminated a couple elbows with the new strainer.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 06:02:25 PM »
Bob,
If the water pump has a leak, since seals are not available for most pumps, it needs to be replaced regardless of what else it damages. The water leaking into the coach pump compartment will do more damage to the coach than just damaging the motor that you are going to through away regardless of its condition.

Gerald    

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 11:09:02 PM »
Be careful about pump orientation.The pump I have has to be installed either horizontally or with the diaphragm and connections facing downwards.   This to ensure it keeps its prime.