Author Topic: satellite radio location  (Read 13494 times)

Jerry and Kay Hudson

satellite radio location
« on: December 14, 2008, 06:26:56 AM »
I have recently purchased a uses 2002 Contessa and i am seeking advise on where to locate the antennae for the satellite radio on the top of the motorhome so it will not be blocked. In a previous motorhome that I had, i put the mounting bracket where the cb mount was at on the side. Has anyone got any thoughts or ideax?

thanks,
Jerry and Galinda Hudson

Phil Sales

Re: satellite radio location
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 02:03:54 AM »
I have XM and use the small magnet antenna. It's in a '96 Patriot
I removed the front  roof AC cover and stuck it to the metal and dropped the wire inside. I put a small hole in the AC duct and ran it to the front. I made another small hole in the duct to let the wire come out behind  the TV switch panel. The wire comes out above the windshield and follows the center rib down to the dash and under it to the XM unit. I put the antenna in a spot where the cover doesn't touch it, just covers it up. I did put a small piece of Aluminum tape over the holes where the wire enters and exits the duct.   Best of luck Phil S

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 07:05:56 PM »
thanks for the advise. so the small antannae is actually right under the cover for the air conditioning unit or did you place it just outside of it? I am currently working overseas in Russia and I am just trying to get all of the ideas that i can before I get back home in a couple of weeks and start to work on it. I assume it was not that hard to fish the wire thru the duct work.

thanks,
Jerry and Galinda Hudson

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 07:45:39 PM »
I had the same problem and used a similar solution.  I purchased a 12" square sheet of galvanized steel at Home Depot and glued it to the top of the coach above the drivers seat.  Than I drilled a small hole through the roof into the cabinet above the drivers seat and there down the corner to the radio.  The magnetic antenna sticks to the steal plate and adds a small ground plate.

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 10:39:38 PM »
thanks for the tip. in my fleetwood discovery that i had, i had a cb antennea mount on the side of the coach and all i did was remove the cb cable and installed the XM cable and then put a marine XM antannae in its place. I guess that I can shoot myself for not having the dealership change out the radio and the xm reciever that i had. it all worked just fine, But I guess it is all in the process of getting this new to us Contessa and working thru the problem to get what we want. we are spoiled by having satellite radio on the road.

I guess that you thoroughly sealed the galvanized plate once you put it on the top so it would not create any future leaks?

Thanks,
Jerry and Kay Hudson

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 11:30:42 PM »
I had an XM antenna mounted on top of the front cap of a 99 Patriot Thunder and used NO metal for the magnet to grab.  It was just caulked to the top to hold it.  Had no problems.  When I bought a new Contessa I kept my XM Sony radio and just have the antenna sitting on my dash and it works just fine.

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 04:25:29 AM »
thanks for all of the tips. Once I get home from Russia, I will get it all organized and probably mount it on the front cap. I will just have to take a look. I had thought about mounting it somewhere around the KVH tracvision dome also.

Again thanks for the help.

Jerry and Galinda Hudson

MarcRodstein

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 10:15:54 PM »
There is NO NEED for another hole in your roof. I attached my Sirius antenna to the underside of my roof, above the front TV. It gets perfect, uninterrupted satellite reception through the fiberglass roof. You can actually mount it in any convenient location on the bottom on your roof that has a clear view of the sky. Make sure there is nothing metal above it for at least 6" in all directions and you will be all set.

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 03:51:37 PM »
Thanks a lot, I assume that I could put it inside the overhead compartment to the right of the t.v.? I have a 2002 Contessa that has the t.v. directly above the drivers head with all of the other compartments for the other electronic gadjets to the gight of it. I was struggling on the proper way forward and I did not want to cut any holes. Did you just use the small magnetic antennae?

Jerry and Galinda Hudson

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 07:04:37 AM »
Heck, I just lay the antenna on my dashboard.  No Problem!   :)

Mike.Way

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 12:07:09 AM »
I discovered the air horns are steel and the antenna sticks nicely.  Zip ties made a more secure install.  Everything works fine.

Mike

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 03:59:26 PM »
I tried the antennae on the dash and it faded in and out. where did you run the wire in order to put the antannae on the air horn? Did you have to drill any holes?

Jerry and Galinda Hudson

Phil Sales

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 04:10:10 PM »
Hudsonjer: Sorry I'm so late with my response. Yes I removed the plastic cover from My forward A/C and there is plenty of sheet metal to draw the magnet and room for the antenna to sit without being touched by the cover. wors well and gets great reception Phil S.

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 01:35:56 AM »
thanks all for the responses. I ended up drilling a hole and went up thru the overhead console and then out on top and sealed it well with Dicor. Now no problem at all.

Thanks,
Jerry and Galinda Hudson