Author Topic: Tail lights for vehicle on tow dolly?  (Read 4570 times)

Ted Couch

Tail lights for vehicle on tow dolly?
« on: April 25, 2014, 04:52:12 AM »
Have the previously mentioned RoadMaster tow dolly and a 2004 Saab to be towed behind our Marquis. We have had the electric brake control installed and had a wire strung from controller to the rear plug-in. Are considering whether we need the Saab brake and signal lights to be operating when in tow. Is this required or do the dolly lights suffice? Thanks again.

Ted

Robert Mathis

Re: Tail lights for vehicle on tow dolly?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 04:19:49 PM »
While probably not required by law, I would think having the tail/turn/stop lights on the car would add a margin of safety.

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 10:05:52 PM »
Ted,

The tow dolly does not extend to the rear of the car so the car can block other drivers view of the dolly lights while traveling. I would walk around behind the loaded dolly while attached to the coach and check it from all angles to make a decision. My first choice would be to have the car lights in sync with the dolly and the motorhome when it comes to lighting. If the dolly has led lights then you could probably power all of the car lights involved from the RV. If your dolly has standard filament bulbs then you may end up with dim lighting due to voltage drop if you tried to power both the car and the dolly from the RV. That can be overcome but it would be a more complicated wiring scenario. I am not sure of the law.

Later Ed

Ted Couch

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 09:03:06 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. We will probably wire the car so we have the lights working with the Beaver and the dolly. Trying to decide whether to get a separate connection to the car and the MH/dolly or have a harness that is left under the hood somewhere and just unwind it when we need to tow. Going to tow the car on our first trip this coming weekend about 200 miles and back. Hope all goes well- need to get in some practice before January for our first trip south. A little nervous.  ::)

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 02:15:42 PM »
Seems like it would be easiest to plug the harness for the dolly into the motorhome and then have a plug on the dolly that plugs into the car. You can use the standard towing plug and wire coupler but set it up on the dolly. You would need to tap into the dolly harness and mount one of these metal end plugs. Then the same on your car front as if you were towing it four down. How you wire into the car lights is car dependent and you would need to sort that out first. At least this set up would all be pluggable and weather resistant.

http://blueox.com/p-794-bx8861-4-wire-electrical-coiled-cable-extension.aspx

Later Ed