Author Topic: Resetting SMC leveling system??  (Read 7957 times)

Gordon Webster

Resetting SMC leveling system??
« on: May 10, 2014, 12:04:07 AM »
I recently bought this 2002 Contessa and when it levels it always leaves the left front low. I got the factory to send me the SMC system set up info but it is for a new coach and says nothing about resetting the system.
Should I just follow the original process? But at what point do I start?

Edward Buker

Re: Resetting SMC leveling system??
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 01:23:11 AM »
Gordon,

My module was under the dash panel that lifts up on a 2002 Marquis. There is a means by which someone with the right equipment can reprogram the unit to set a level reference. BCS in Bend OR has such a unit.

You can also use washers under the control module to reset the level as long as it is repeatable as to how it levels you. I recalibrated for a tilt by resetting the plane of reference in the control module with a small stack of washers on the screws under the right corners of the module . A little trial and error was needed to get it right. It was not intuitive to me as to how the  tilt was to be compensated for. the good news is once this was done I have not had to repeat the process or change the calibration since then.

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 02:00:30 AM »
Gordon,
I think the leveling control for the IDS system in our 01 Contessa was in the panel to the left of the driver. I never had to adjust it so cannot offer help on procedure but am emailing you an IDS manual that may be helpful.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 02:34:37 AM »
Gordon,

Ed's procedure is the way you can adjust the level position on your SMC (IDS) system.  My level control module is under the SMC level control panel behind the removable panel on the shift console mounted on the floor.  Just try tightening the screw on the corner that you want to raise.  If that does not work, then use the washers that Ed gave in his explanation.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 01:28:42 PM »
Hi,

I have to 2002 Contessa with the IDS components also and went thru a lot to finally get my coach leveling again. I have two spare brains and two keypads in case you need them. All i want for them is what I paid for them. I would be willing to sell one set (key pad and brain) if you need them. I also have the IDS instruction sheets if you need them.

Jerry

George H. Wall

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 02:09:36 PM »
Gordon, I also have your system for leveling. Your system seems to function well, you just need to use the method ED and KARL describe to find the correct level setup.  

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 05:49:18 PM »
Gordon,

WARNING: I have been told that be sure when adjusting the level sensor module not to completely dismount the module from its flat position.  Tilting the module more than 15 degrees will disable the leveling function.  You can reset, but is very time consuming.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Les Brandt

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 03:12:16 AM »
Hi,

I have to 2002 Contessa with the IDS components also and went thru a lot to finally get my coach leveling again. I have two spare brains and two keypads in case you need them. All i want for them is what I paid for them. I would be willing to sell one set (key pad and brain) if you need them. I also have the IDS instruction sheets if you need them.

Jerry

Jerry, I'm having problems with my jacks retracting. Do you still have a keypad and brain for sale? Also, can you send me a copy of the IDS instruction sheet?

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 10:09:33 AM »
Hi,

No I do not...the two have been sold. sorry. I will send you the file later today.

good luck,
Jerry

Les Brandt

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 01:49:28 PM »
Thanks Jerry!

Frank Towle

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 09:39:20 PM »
Hi All, I posted this Dec 2014 and think it still applies:

Early IDS leveler with single pump system.  Have spent the most time wringing my hands and loosing sleep with this almost working system.  As we all know there is no way to manually control with fingers on buttons and a bubble level like I used to do with '96 Patriot. After reading thru posts here, searching web and finding the controller black box, inspecting the rusted thru drywall screws (why on earth!) and deteriorating foam rubber seat..  went to local ACE and bought 3 light weight conical springs and 3 galvanized deck screws.  Was able to level coach using the 'Semi' button with bubble level and stopping before all lights were out.  NOW THE FIX:  Unscrewed controller and removed rubber gunk that had been compressed beyond usefulness.  Mounted controller on top of springs (2  nearest outside wall, 1 centered on inside),  screwed thru controller and spring into floor.   Leveled controller with trusty bubble by adjusting each of the three screws, turned system on and found the same 'out of level' lights as before...  WHAT THE....  [Light Bulb]: Turned OUT screw corresponding to flashing low indicator - spring pushing controller up at that corner/side, that light went out; then turned OUT screw for next one - GREEN LIGHT!!!  It might take a few more fractional turns of the mounting screws but with care the system is alive and well.  I've cycled the system several times since and always comes back level.

Cheers & Happy Summer,