Author Topic: wind noise at driver's corner  (Read 7680 times)

Gordon Webster

wind noise at driver's corner
« on: May 15, 2014, 08:06:20 PM »
My new to me 2002 Contessa had very loud wind noise at the front left corner. It made me turn up the radio in order to hear. Today I went on a 40 mile trip and before I left I put tape over the front two window drain slots. That reduced it about 70%. I've seen little black plastic covers that snap into those slots that allows downward drainage but smooths out the wind flow to reduce the noise. Does anyone know what they are called and/or where to order them?

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: wind noise at driver's corner
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 08:28:06 PM »
Gordon they stock the  CG Weep covers at Beaver Coach Sales in Bend they are available in Left or Right and they cost 2.60 ea.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 08:38:27 PM »
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 08:40:25 PM »
Hi Gordon-

There may be several sources for these, including Beaver Coach Sales parts dept.  They are made by Atwood, and you remind me I need to replace some that have come off of our coach.  By blocking the window weep holes, they purportedly can block out 70% of wind noise.  Until you get new ones, you can always move those from the rearmost windows up to replace any missing from the driver's and passenger's side where road wind noise is most noticeable.

Here is one source, at something over $4 for a pack of three, probably plus shipping.   Keep in mind that these come in left and right coach sides.:          http://pdxrv.com/catalog/i2729.html
  and        http://www.pdxrv.com/catalog/i2730.html

Make sure before ordering that these match the remaining ones on your coach because weep hole covers come in more than one type and fit different window makes, e.g. Hehr versus Atwood.  Pinch the ends in slightly to remove or install them.   You might clean the weep hole areas and then add just a dab of Lexel at one end when reinstalling each cover (don't plug the vent!).  This should help retain them so they don't fall out easily again, yet allow removal if the holes ever need a clean-out.

Joel
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:52:53 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 08:57:17 PM »
Gordon,
Mirror position can also yield high wind noise. The circa 2000 Contessas had a fairly short mirror arm resulting in the mirror being positioned so the driver looked our the side window to see it, rather than through the windshield. My 01 came like that. I found that there was a 'sweet-spot' when moving the mirror forward so one could get a good view to the rear. This resulted in a major reduction in wind noise.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 02:43:02 AM »
I called Atwood customer service, and they sent me a plastic bag full of them, free. A dozen of each that go in different ways.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Gordon Webster

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 01:32:14 AM »
I found that my weep hole covers aren't by Atwood. Still haven't found any aerodynamic looking ones like I've seen before a few years ago. Mine are flat on both ends and fit either side. I moved some to my corner and they help only a little. Not nearly as good as the tape over the holes. But I can't keep doing that. Mine only say "SE-GI" on them. Sooner or later I'll find some with the front corner more aerodynamic.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 12:02:08 AM »
Hey Stan-
Thanks for that!  I had just placed an order for a few for each side of our coach when I read your post.  Fortunately the company I was ordering from got my email in time to cancel.

Today I got 16 covers, 8 for each side, from Atwood.  No charge.

Appreciate your alert to that option.   Knee jerk reaction is to find a source to buy stuff like that from, but in this case the company has no qualms about keeping customers happy re. a relatively minimum cost item (to them) that's regularly lost off our rigs.

Gordon, during my search for sources of my Atwood, I recall seeing other covers that were configured differently.  Perhaps some are what you're after, so just be persistent in checking out weep hole covers online.  Here is what I found in a few minutes:

http://www.segiwindows.com/page2.html
and
http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=85_106&products_id=1133

If you want aerodynamic, I'd try getting some plastic epoxy and forming my own angled leading edges on my inserts, at least the ones up front.  Just a little dab of black paint after curing, and see if it makes any difference in the noise.  Worth a shot.  Below see the products I would try.  Be sure to clean and sandpaper the spots you use the epoxy on so it can get a good "bite" into the plastic.  I've been using the plastic weld stuff more lately since when done properly it seems to work well reattaching broken plastic, but will need paint to seal and protect it from weather deterioration.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 12:36:35 AM »
Joel,

I'm happy to be able to contribute what little knowledge I have, but I could never pay back for the things I've learned here from others. Literally saved thousands of dollars.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad