Author Topic: Aqua Hot  (Read 45044 times)

Les Brandt

Re: Aqua Hot
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2014, 06:00:13 PM »
How do you excercise your HydroHot system once you've winterized? Don't you need water in the system? Mines been blown out and put to bed for the winter.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2014, 06:17:48 PM »
You don't really need to "exercise" it while stored, Les.  But if you wanted to, my understanding is that you can't hurt it doing so.  That said, I hope you did more than just blew out the water.  You cannot get every last drop out of an AquaHot or HydroHot that way, and the remaining drops can coalesce together to partially fill a remote tube section.  If that freezes...  :o

I used to just blow my systems out because that's what I was used to in our old Pace Arrow.  But it didn't have a heat exchange unit where water can "reorganize" itself afterwards - just a simple water heater and a propane furnace.  After a couple years doing that with the Beaver, the threat of $7k in repairs made a few bucks for 3 gallons of RV antifreeze and 20 minutes of my time sound like a cheaper preventive move than relying on just blowing things out.  And I could quit running out to the coach and turning the system on, just in case, whenever the ambient temperature sank to 34.

Joel
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:21:50 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Sprague

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2014, 06:20:06 PM »
How do you excercise your HydroHot system once you've winterized? Don't you need water in the system? Mines been blown out and put to bed for the winter.

(I see Joel posted first!!)

I do not mean to be rude Les, but if all you did was blow it out, you may be in trouble.

Due to the design, small amounts of water can settle in the bottom of the looped coil that surrounds the boiler.  If there is water there and it freezes, the entire unit will need replacement. 

The only two practices for winterizing an AquaHot are to keep it warm or fill it with the pink RV antifreeze.  (Gerald always suggests moving south along the I-10 corridor for the winter.)

If you don't like the pink stuff, you can minimize it's use.  You can blow out the entire motorhome, then hook up to a bottle of antifreeze and run the closest faucet on hot until it flows pink.   I don't think blowing it out protects the water pump or the washer/dryer either.   

You can use the AquaHot for heating or "exercise" when it is winterized.  In fact, I would suggest you turn it on, until you get some RV antifreeze in it. 

Please call, email or post if you have questions. 

Les Brandt

« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2014, 03:02:47 AM »
Thanks for the heads up guys, however, Being smarter than the average bear, I use a shop to winterize my coach(for liability reasons).

I don't know enough about these systems to take a chance on a mistake doing it myself.

I will query the shop Monday to check their procedures.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2014, 04:04:01 PM »
Update, when I finally found the control panel behind an almost impregnable aluminum barrier installed by the dealer, I reset using a carved piece of fire wood (no tooth pick), the HH lit right off and ran with no smoke after about 30 seconds.  Thanks for all the help.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

John Jahr

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2014, 01:57:48 AM »
I just had my coach in a facility putting in new carpet and they didn't keep it plugged in and running as I
had instructed them to do and now there is a $ 7000.00 bill staring at someone.

John
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Les Brandt

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2014, 02:24:13 AM »
Update:

I confirmed the coach was winterized properly with antifreeze in the full system.

Phew!

Thanks for the heads up guys, however, Being smarter than the average bear, I use a shop to winterize my coach(for liability reasons).

I don't know enough about these systems to take a chance on a mistake doing it myself.

I will query the shop Monday to check their procedures.

Frank Towle

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2014, 03:19:27 AM »
Just as conclusion to my original frantic post regarding possible leaks and other problems with my boiler. 

Now in Flagler Beach FL and using mostly the electric element to keep the morning chill off.  Only time running on Diesel is when taking twice a weekly shower. 

Always starts and cycles; doesn't leak or spit H2O as it did at first in 20 degreee weather; lots of heat, but comes with plenty of diesel fumes and smoke.

Hope to replace filter and nozzle to improve fuel burning.  Any additional advice is welcome...

Edward Buker

« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2014, 02:54:33 PM »
Frank,

This info is posted under an Aqua Hot thread and this info is for an Aqua Hot. On another post I saw Hydro Hot and little of this info would probably apply, so first thing is to sort out which heating unit type and which thread applies.....

For Aqua Hot:

Changing the nozzle is the first thing to do as well as clean the electrodes and set the gap. If the filter bowl has any debris or has not been recently changed then this would be a good time to do that also. Usually there is a metal gauge tool screwed onto the side of the burner. If you do not have one, buy one. Look at some photos/service manual as to where it gets placed to be sure you are gauging properly. The round plate behind the nozzle is supposed to be lose and float free, it moves to seal the air flow at the nozzle area, check for that. Danfoss nozzles are providing a better track record for being problem free according to Roger Berke who repairs these units and also runs a forum about these heaters, so I would buy that brand.

While in there remove the burner chamber insert and examine it to see if any deformities or melting has occurred and replace it if necessary. Brush and clean the carbon out of the chamber and exhaust area. When this all goes back together you need to be sure this all seals properly and no wires get pinched while mounting the burner. The banjo bolts should be snug but not over tightened.

At this point if the new nozzle, the fuel pump, bearings, and motor are all working properly you should have a clean burning exhaust with literally no smoke after the first minute or two of warm up. The nozzle flow/pattern, the motor speed, the fuel pump pressure, and proper air sealing of the burner assembly sets the air fuel ratio which in one form or another is your problem.

If the new nozzle does not fix your burner smoking issue then motor bearings (slowing down due to drag) and fuel pump pressure (needs a nozzle pressure gauge fixture) is what you probably need to check next. Orman or Roger would be good sources for wisdom and parts. These units will carbon back up quickly if they are not burning cleanly so you can waste effort cleaning what is not fixed.....Hope this helps.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 03:04:53 PM by Edward Buker »

Bill Sprague

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2014, 03:34:35 PM »
It has been awhile since Marty, Jay and I made a video on how to replace a fuel pump on a HydroHot.  It you watch it, you can see how it comes apart, what the basic service parts are and what they look like.   

https://vimeo.com/67970941

Edward Buker

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2014, 04:12:52 PM »
Nice video, one item to note. At the beginning you can see a rubber inlet boot on the bottom of the burner while on the bench. Roger Berke says to remove and discard those boots because they collapse with age and shut down much of the inlet air which will make the burner run very rich. Frank, you may want to check that yours has been removed and that you do not have that issue going on.

Later Ed

Bill Sprague

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2014, 08:48:28 PM »
Nice video, ....
Thanks Ed!  I had fun making it with such great actors!

I keep thinking I'm going to do a few more.  "Changing Fuel Filters While Stuck Alongside the Road", "Annual Hydro Hot Maintence" and "Lube Oil And Filter" have been on my list. 
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Orman Claxton

« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2014, 03:17:03 AM »
Hey, Y'all come over to the Qsite rally, in Jan, looks to be a lot of fun,
Forecasted to have some great Gearhead sessions. You can ask some questions, We will have the answers. 8)

Frank Towle

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2014, 02:14:22 AM »
I'm no Marty and don't have the entire support team shown in the video, but....

You've all given me the courage to at least follow the suggestions provided by Ed in his two posts and get a new Danfoss nozzle installed to start with.  I'll make sure there is a electrode gauge tool before upsetting anything.  Will be a while before getting to project but will keep you posted here.