Author Topic: Cargo tray removal and fresh water gate dump valve  (Read 9884 times)

Bill Johnson

Cargo tray removal and fresh water gate dump valve
« on: February 25, 2010, 12:18:52 AM »
We have an 02 Patriot.  The fresh water gate dump valve (located in the passenger side, front cargo bay) is leaking and I would like to replace it.  To get to it I would like to remove the Kwikee cargo slide that is adjacent to the valve.  I cannot find a release lever on the side of the glides that will allow me to pull the tray out.  Suggestions related to either of these issues would be appreciated.
bill

Bruce Benson

Re: Cargo tray removal and fresh water gate dump valve
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 01:50:56 AM »
My read, although I have never done it, is that you will need to lift the front edge of the slide slightly as you pull the release lever as you pull the slide outward.  Now, that is a two or three person job in my mind!  Buy some beer and invite young strong ones.  You may have to remove the forward slide rail from the floor as well.  You will have to see if you need the room and if you can take it off without removing the whole rail frame (front and back).  

I would cut off the pipe about three inches above the valve, hopefully after draining the tank well.  You might even move the coach about a bit with the valve open to make sure the tank is pretty dry.  Mark it using a piece of heavy paper wrapped around it with the top edge lined up as a guide for your mark.  Cut it straight, a miter saw would be good for this.  Buy a cheap one at Home Depot and take your time with it.  Remove the old valve and lower pipes.  Put together a new valve with two new pieces of pipe properly cemented into it.  Be sure and use a cleaner as well as the proper cement and do not allow the cleaner nor the cement to contact the ball in the valve.  Use just enough but not too much.  Use a connector to cement this to the existing stub where you cut the old one off.  Reseal around the hole in the floor.  Hold your breath and refill the tank.    

Bill Johnson

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 02:58:02 AM »
Bruce, thanks for the suggestions.  I think I will replace your suggested beer with Scotch!  I did try lifting the front while pulling the tray -- it did not lift even a fraction of an inch.  Perhaps I need more Scotch!
For the gate valve, there are four bolts that appear to hold the valve in between the upper and lower pvc and I was hoping I could simply remove those four bolts and then pull the gate mechanism out.  Did I miss something here (although I know Johnson's Law states that anything that appears easy will in fact be 10 times more difficult - - but only after you start the project!).

Bruce Benson

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 03:25:46 AM »
Bill,

Perhaps that will not work on the slide out tray.  I am just looking at the installation instructions and assuming that taking it out would be the opposite of putting it in,  I see no reference to any stops being added so I would think that it would come apart like it slides together.  

http://www.kwikee.com/PDFDocuments/SSInstall.pdf

I do not see a good way to get a look at the latch bearing.  Perhaps you could lift it with a long screw driver inserted in the back inside of the forward edge of the slide.

My drain is different from yours.  After looking at mine, I might do it differently but it would have no bearing on the way you need to do yours.  You gotta love the way they threw these things together.  Kind'a looks like what ever hardware store was on the way to work for the guy that drew the short straw for parts duty the day before supplied the parts that day.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 05:55:58 PM by 275 »

Bill Johnson

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 03:54:57 AM »
Bruce, thanks for the link.  I reviewed the diagram/illustrations but can see nothing about a latch, as you noted.  Perhaps I need to take a Sawzall to it.  I  figure I will phone Kwikee tomorrow -- I did try phoning them this afternoon.  What I found is that they have merged with another company and none of their former numbers work -- not even a listing of a forwarded number.  God, but you just gotta love this.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 04:19:59 AM »
It sounds like Bruce has the glued in ball valve that SMC used, and Bill has the bolt in gate valve that Monaco used.

The gate valve is easy to replace just unbolt it and slide it out. It is the same valve that is used as the gray water dump valve, and is available at almost any RV supply dealer.

Gerald

Bill Johnson

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 04:23:12 AM »
Gerald, that is the answer I was looking for!  Thanks.  Now, if I can just get the darn slide tray out to gain easy(er) access to those four bolts, life will be looking pretty good again.

Bruce Benson

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 05:47:06 PM »
Bill,

In figure 2 of the installation instructions you will see a "latch bearing" on the tray and "latch bearing catch/stops" along the rail.  I assume that the "latch bearing" rides along the top of the inside edge of the rail and falls into the "latch bearing catch/stops" as the tray is moved in or out.  It really does not show us why it seems to stop on the last outward "latch bearing catch/stop".  I would try removing mine today but I do not want to unload it.  :)

Let us know if Kwikee provides a solution.  I suppose you could call Actuant at 800.624.5242 and ask the operator there for the number for Kwikee.    
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:09:22 PM by 275 »

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 11:31:13 PM »
Hi Bill,

It seems more of a job removing the tray than changing the valve.  I had to replace th valve on the gray tank with one hand because of the limited access.  Try vice-grip pliers on the nuts and you may be able to change it without removing the tray.  Good luck.

Larry  

Bill Johnson

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 12:25:05 AM »
Thanks all for the advice and suggestions.  And, now for the rest of the story.  Trying to talk with someone at Kwikee I found to be impossible.  Even dealers in their products have to submit orders via fax  When I attempted to contact someone at corporate, The message stated that the office was closed but their hours were 8-5 Eastern time (I found at 10:30 Eastern time).  Bottom line, I found getting hold of any person at Kwikee or one of their umbrella corporations impossible.

Second chapter in the story:  I went to Camping World and got the new gate valve, no problem there.  While there I asked their techs and parts people about the issue I was/am having with the slideout tray.  They had no clue as to how to remove it and stated that the only way they can contact Kwikee is through one of their distributors.

Conclusion:  new gate valve has been installed, the leak is repaired and I am enjoying a well-deserved Scotch (even if I do say so myself!).

Again, thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Bill

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 02:03:25 AM »
You Deserve a Johnnie Walker Blue Scotch

Larry Lewis

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 05:55:22 PM »
I recently had to remove the slide out tray on my 01 Patriot and also could not find any release mechanism. Finally gave up and just removed the six bolts located on the bottom of the tray that hold the tray to the slide rails. Mine were easy to get to and allowed me to remove the tray quite easily although the slide rails remained in place. Once the tray is out you could then get to the bolts that hold the slide rails on if you wanted to remove them also.