Author Topic: Magnum Toilet  (Read 7027 times)

brunitoons2

Magnum Toilet
« on: March 03, 2010, 06:48:48 PM »
2004 Patriot Thunder - I have a Sealand Magnum Opus toilet that is not holding water. The bottom unit is two years old. Is there something i am to put on the seal ( gasket ) to keep it soft and hold water?

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: Magnum Toilet
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 08:54:31 PM »
Usually the seal leak is caused by "dirt" crusted on the edges of the seal and valve. A good cleaning with a small brush like an old tooth brush will correct the problem. Water with a bit of dish detergent in it will help lossen the dirt.  I generally throw the old tooth brush away and be sure to rinse with plenty of water. Use moderate to easy force when cleaning.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 11:21:54 PM »
The seal is Teflon coated for wear resistance, and there is nothing to put on it to help it seal. Richard is right when he said that the seal usually leaks because of solid waste on the sealing area, but the seals do eventually wear out, and have to be replaced (as a fulltimer I have to replace mine once every 5 to 7 years). However his repair method is intended for a manual flush toilet, and not an electric flush one like yours.

If there is a way to hold the flush ball open to clean the seal as Richard described, then that will probably work. If not you may be able to clean the seal by adding liquid dish washing detergent around the edge of the sealing area in an empty bowl. Then let it sit 10 or 15 minutes, and then add about a quart of water to the bowl and let that sit an additional 10 or 15 minutes before flushing. It may take several tries to adequately clean the seal.

If cleaning the seal does not correct the leak, you will have to replace the seal.

Gerald

Garland Land

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 04:29:17 AM »
I have the same toliet you have.  Remove the cover on the back of the toilet and there are 2 small switches.  One changes the level of the water in the bowl and the other is a service switch.  Move the second switch to the right and the valve stays open for cleaning.  I set the water level to low when I dry camp for an extended time.