Author Topic: Air bag pressure settings - HOW?  (Read 3607 times)

Roland DuBree

Air bag pressure settings - HOW?
« on: June 01, 2014, 05:41:00 AM »
Can you tell me what is the proper way or procedure to adjust the rod assembly and stops that control the air pressure valve to the 8 air springs on my 2001 Beaver?

I think my adjustments were and now are way out on the front especially.  I just replaced all shocks because the coach front was like a see saw going over long bridges with a lot of joints. It appears to have caused the front spring bags to draw in because of not enough air on the upward stroke and then double roll on the lower cone shape bottom as it went down.  I adjusted to raise the front.with more air in the bags and got the bags back is proper shape for the roll area.  But I don't know if I am to high now where before I was way too low.  The bags do not seem to now lose air pressure although the system loses air on engine shut off.

Before as parked the coach looked like I drove way down hill, now it looks like way up hill.

Is air bag pressure set to some fixed pressure or adjusted to establish ride height?  If height is front adjusted to match rear or rear to match front?

What is the proper adjustment for front and rear?  Any euggestions?

Thanks

Gerald Farris

Re: Air bag pressure settings - HOW?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 01:51:40 PM »
Roland,
Adjusting carrying height is something that I never encourage owners to attempt because of the safety issues involved. If an owner makes the wrong adjustment while under the coach, the suspension can lower unexpectedly, and crush the owner. Therefore, I always recommend that height adjustments should be preformed by professional technicians.

You did not say what model coach you have, so I can only give you general information, however with the exception of sensor locations and height adjustments all air suspension coaches are similar in that there are 3 height sensors. On a 2001 there should be one front sensor and 2 rear sensors. These sensors adjust the air pressure to achieve the desired height with no regard to the pressure required. Air is just added or released until the desired height is achieved. If the coach is even side to side but uneven front to rear, it should only need the front sensor adjusted. I think that most of the 2001 models use a ride height of 10 1/2 inches between the suspension cradle and frame, but this measurement should be verified with Monaco technical support, BCS, or Henderson's Line-up. Basically you will just be leveling the coach from front to rear when it is setting on a level surface. Remember that there is a slight time delay in the system that prevents the system from trying to readjust the height to accommodate for road bumps.

Gerald      

Roland DuBree

Re: Air bag pressure settings - HOW?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 11:46:01 PM »
Called Beaver support, they also say also a professional to do it for safety reasons.  He did tell me for my 2001 38' Contessa with the 8 bag Magnum chassis system it is supposed to be 10" from top plate to bottom plate of air bag supports. The adjustment on the rods is for up and down and if off side to side each valve needs to be set.  Guess I'll try to find a pro shop someplace close.