Author Topic: Bend to Eugene  (Read 13086 times)

Gary Wolfer

Re: Bend to Eugene
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 12:31:53 AM »
If you are in a hurry take hwy 22 to Salem then down i-5 If you are looking for scenic take 20 then do not turn off to lebanon albany follow signs to springfield and Eugene. All are passable but McKinsey is closed in winter due to sharp corners,snow and dangerous conditions summer it is beautiful if you are not in a hurry and do not mind winding road. It comes out on the McKensie river highway and then into springfield much longer than straight thru to springfield. I was born and raised in Albany and am familiar with all 4

Keith Oliver

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 03:26:26 PM »
Google Maps "Street View" is available for that highway.  When you use Street View you can see from the same view as from the cab of your Motorhome, so can anticipate the view at the tight corners.  This may take some of the surprise out of the actual trip.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 03:34:25 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  Sounds like we'll be taking the 126 route from 20.  Since we're used to taking the 20 all the way to Lebanon, this shouldn't be any worse.  We're leaving BCS Sunday and will camp in the body shops parking lot for another 5 nights or so.

Does anyone have some recommendation for golf courses in the Eugene area??

Thanks again.

Dick

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 09:07:02 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, Dick, 126 is a great highway, and it follows the McKenzie River, arguably one of the most beautiful in the country.  My guess is you will like it better than 20, though admittedly I've rarely traveled 20 myself.  If you have time there are plenty of sights along the way, from Sahalie Falls near the eastern start of 126 to McKenzie Bridge to Blue River to the Dam at Leasburg and then the filbert (hazelnut) orchards just out of Springfield.  As a former filbert grower, and with relatives at the east end of Springfield, I often get my annual filbert supply from growers there.  

If you have to be at the painter's Sunday evening, you might consider using your toad over the next 5 days to reconoiter back up the McKenzie on a long day trip to see it all properly, including perhaps McKenzie Pass (242).  ;)

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat