Author Topic: Fuel Filter replacement  (Read 13373 times)

Adam Hicklin

Fuel Filter replacement
« on: June 25, 2014, 04:05:10 PM »
I'm going to attempt a fuel filter change. I don't think this spin on filter is available any more.  Is there a replacement that will spin on to the same housing or will I need to change the whole apparatus?  Also, can someone explain the air purge process after I get the filters changed out?  Thanks in advance..

Gerald Farris

Re: Fuel Filter replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 06:49:35 PM »
Adam,
The filter that you have a picture of is the primary fuel filter, and it is not the original design that is no longer made. You can probably find a direct replacement for the filter that you have, but I think that it is an aftermarket filter because the it is not look like a Racor designed. The original Racor 300200 filter was replaced with a retrofit kit that changes it over so that your replacement filters will be Racor S3230P. What you have is an aftermarket replacement for the S3230P.  

The question that I have for you is why do you want to change the primary fuel filter? I have changed mine once in 140,000 miles. With a 30 micron filtration media, the primary filter seldom causes a problem, but the secondary filter has a 2 micron media, and it requires servicing on a regular interval.

If you have no experience in changing a diesel fuel filter, I would recommend that you watch an experienced person change the filters, because an air locked diesel can be a real problem to start.

Gerald  

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 07:49:39 PM »
I was assuming that they both needed to be changed at the same time.  You're saying the primary can go a while but the secondary needs to be changed regularly.  The primary filter that is on there is a Racor 200200 (hard to see the number because it is on the back side). Could this possibly be the original filter from 1998?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 08:11:19 PM »
Adam,
Yes, your primary fuel filter does not normally need replacing as often as the secondary fuel filter unless you have a problem with microbial growth in your tank.

Your coach looks like it no longer has a Racor 200200 primary filter with an electric water drain, but it has an aftermarket filter with a manual water drain like the Baldwin BF 1252.

Gerald

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 10:09:12 PM »
Adam,

The 200200 filter (clear plastic w/ metal strainer) is a reusable or replaceable filter.  It is somewhat difficult to remove and replace without causing a fuel leak.  This filter can be purchased new, however they are expensive and hard to find.  There are several version of the primary fuel filter that Gerald is referring to in his message.  Do you have an separate control panel that has a button for "air purge"?  If it does, this would be used for purging the system after replacing the fuel filters.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 12:44:51 AM »
It is definitely a Racor 200200 filter on there.  I got a better look with a mirror.  Here is another picture of the whole set up.  Secondary filter was changed 5000 miles ago 12/2010, before I bought the coach.  It is marked.  The primary filter does not have a date.  The pre-filter strainer part of the primary filter looks clean and clear.  I don't see any manual purge that gerald speaks of, but i don't exactly know what I'm looking for either.  So maybe I'll just leave the primary filter and concentrate n the secondary.  

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 02:27:57 AM »
Adam,

Ok, you have the air purge button on the control panel.  That gives you an easy way to purge the air after you change the fuel filters.  I agree that your pre-filter/strainer look very good and should not need to be replaced or cleaned.  If the primary filter only has 5,000 miles it should be OK. That primary filter is a little strange now that I can see it in this latest picture.  BTW, my mistake on the P/N for the pre-filter, it is a 300200 and they can be purchased but hard to find.  

As Gerald pointed out, the original OEM Racor filter was replaced with a separate bowl w/water purge and sensor wire for detecting the water in the bottom of the bowl.  That replacement filter can be purchased under Wix P/N 33621 or Donaldson P558800, but you will need the bowl conversion that Gerald referenced in his earlier post.  Also, as Gerald noted the Baldwin BF1252 can be used without the separate bowl, but does not have the water purge connection.  It does have a manual value for draining water.

I would consider just replacing the current filter with the Baldwin just because it will save you the cost of the bowl conversion.  Changing the filter is just like an oil filter in the car.  Do not prefill with diesel and be sure and lubricate the "O" ring before installation.  Do not overtighen per the instructions on the outside of the filter housing.  After you have completed the installation, hit the purge button and start your engine.

My big concern is if that your Primary Racor fuel filter could be very old (they have not been made for 10 years or more)...  Could that be possible?
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 02:33:01 AM »
Adam,
My apology, if you still have a Racor 200200 filter, it is probably at least ten years old if not original to the coach. The Baldwin BF 1252 looks similar and is a manual water drain filter that replaces the Racor 200200. The preferred replacement for the Racor 200200 filter is the Racor RK12963 that is a one-time retrofit kit that changes a 200200 element to a S3230P element on an old, obsolete Racor 90S1230C Integrated assembly. The retrofit kit retains the electric water sensor and drain.

Gerald
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:55:37 AM by 235 »

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 05:04:56 AM »
My guess is it is the original filter.  I'm the third owner.  Second owner bought it in Washington in 12/2010 with 5000 miles and drove it directly to BCS and had about $3000 of work done.  That's when the secondary filter was changed but there was no Indication the primary was changed. It wasn't marked with a date like the secondary.  So, now the coach has 10K miles and my inclination is to just leave it. I should change the secondary though, correct?

Karl and Gerald.  Would it be the same process?  Replace the secondary, don't fill it with diesel, hit the air purge button and attempt to start it?  

I'll check in to that replacement primary.  Thanks for the info.  

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 01:02:44 PM »
Adam,

You may want to buy the kit and the 30 micron S3220P from Racor and have it on board. I keep a spare filter in the bay for both primary and secondary. At 30 microns it is not likely to plug up any time soon. If you got bad fuel somewhere in the past or do not know then I would consider changing it once so you know it is clean. I change mine about every three years and about 30k miles but even that may not be required.

The on board fuel purge pump is handy but some have had them fail. You need to be sure that you can hear the pump run before removing any filter. If the pump is functional then each filter has a purge port either an air valve type like the Racor or a plug like on the cat filter. Those have to be opened or removed to purge the air out of a filter using the pump and closed off once fuel is emitted before you would start the engine. You can get siphoning if the tank is pretty full so you may want to have the first filter change done by someone who is familiar and watch as Gerald indicated.

Later Ed

Dick Simonis

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 03:28:11 PM »
Adam, if you decide to get the replacment kit, please let us know.  I should do the same thing.  I assume it comes with a filter...