Author Topic: BCS for service and places to stay nearby  (Read 8574 times)

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
BCS for service and places to stay nearby
« on: July 24, 2014, 04:15:42 AM »
We are taking our coach in to Beaver Coach Sales and Service to have some repairs done.  It is our understanding we can just stay on the coach while there.  I'm sure some of you have done that...is it a good idea or would we be better off finding another place to stay?  Also we arrive in Bend for our repairs and then have three days until the Beaver Ale Trail.  Any ideas on a good place to stay for those three days?
Thanks,
Laura
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: BCS for service and places to stay nearby
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:24:41 AM »
Crown Villa and Scandia are the main parks in Bend, but expensive in our opinion.   Crown Villa is usually where BCS puts up customers purchasing new rigs while predelivery work is done.  There are other options, including some State Parks a few miles out, but we've not actually stayed in them.  Others here can probably speak to that, but we usually leave BCS and are heading out to put some miles down either south, east, or to home 150 miles west.

We have spent many days, if not weeks, at BCS while in for service or repair.  It's not exactly an RV resort, but you'll park in a row across the lot from the service bays, and you'll have electric hookups.  We've spent entire weekends there with no problems.  The only annoyance I can think of is that it is adjacent to the UPS transfer terminal, and the big brown trucks rush right by on their access drive immediately behind the line of overnight coaches.  But it's not that big a deal, and you get used to it.  There is plenty of room for your toad by or in front of the coach.  You'll need to get up and going early each workday so your assigned tech can drive your rig into the shop, and then unless it for some reason is immobile he will return it to the overnighters' line and plug it in at the end of their workday or when the job is done.  We are 30 year graveyarders, so they on occasion have had to be tolerant if we were still groggy in the a.m., but I try to have the coach unplugged, slides in, and ready to go by the time they usually knock on the door.

Coffee thermos loaded and in hand, I usually give a "good mornin' to Ken as I pass by the service desk each a.m. after the office opens up, shoot some bull about the coach or weather or somethin', and the wife and I spend time in the lounge according to whim or if we are needed close by that day.  We commonly take time to leisurely examine showroom coaches and their RV accessory store while there, and wander to visit with Ty and others in the showroom/office area, and replenish the thermos as needed from the well-stocked urns in the lounge.  There are restaurants aplenty very nearby and plenty of shops and local sights to see.  There's a Costco, Fred Meyer, a big shopping mall, several other RV accessory sources, tire shops, propane and diesel and gas not far away, and just about anything you could want.  Heck, even our broker's office is there too, so we often get taken to lunch during our stay at BCS.  If we've been gone, toward the end of each day I check in with Ken in person or by phone to get apprised of progress.  We don't use our satellite dish, but there are off-air channels available to your batwing in the evenings.  We've even had pizza delivered while parked there on weekends or other nights, though I usually have to be sure to be out in front of the line so they know which coach to go to;  they got lost the first time we did it.

If you need water, there's a faucet in a back corner of the shop building and elsewhere, and there is room to maneuver and they have a sewer dump we usually use when we are leaving.  So I'd look into reservations soon for your stay between service at BCS and the Ale Trail, as that period of time is likely to be busy at local parks.  As I recall the Ale Trail is at Crown Villa, so that would be convenient if you can get in there.   But don't fret about staying at BCS overnight during your service; you'll have time to explore and enjoy Bend during the day, you should be comfortable at night, and you'll be treated right, just like your coach will.   ;)

Joel
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 07:37:20 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Carol Moffett

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 07:27:45 AM »
Laura,
   It is an excellent idea to stay in the lot while the guys do repairs on your coach.  They have both 50 and 30 amp hookups, depending where in the lot you settle, with a dump and water access readily available.  They come get your coach in the morning and re-park back in the same site at night!  We found it best to come in on the weekend before the appt to claim a site as it`s first come first served on weekends and where you park is where you park the whole time you are there...meaning: no one coming in on a weekday can take your spot if your coach happens to be in the shop.
   As far as finding a place to stay for the three days after, you might ask Sean or someone else in the office, they may let you stay a few extra days.  And as is often the case with us, we find that the work we need done takes a little longer or we find other things that need attention,  so an extra couple days stay is in order!  Lol!
If not, then try Scandia RV park, they are nice!
Good luck and have a good time!  We love all the folks at BCS!  They are awesome!
Carol Moffett
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 01:40:10 PM »
Laura,
I have used the lot many times you will have some noise at night from the UPS trucks but the electric hook ups are free (limited to 30amp some sites) the other issue is space availability right now the shop at BCS is very busy so they may need to drop a cord for you from the shop.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 02:16:38 PM »
Jerry, I concur with the others.  We typically stay there at least once a year and affectionately refer to it as Camp Beaver and you will never have a lonely evening.  The only night we had t leave the coach was when it was in the paint booth last month and aside from that it was quite pleasant actually.  Everyone in the shop respects that this is your home.

Big downside....all those coaches to look at during the day.  You may not leave in which you arrived.

Also, great golf within 5 minutes if so inclined.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 04:36:15 PM »
There is an Elks club just down the street, only a block away.  Again first come for electric, but others have dry camped there for a day or two.  
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

BJ Sprague

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 05:07:39 PM »
One of the state parks "a few miles out" is Tumalo.  Although it's beautiful - avoid this one - tight turns with trees and very big rocks!

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 05:49:55 PM »
If you want a really nice place to stay after your repairs are completed we like Bend/Sisters Garden RV Park. Ask for a site overlooking the pond and water fountains. It is one of of favorite places in the area and we usually stay a few days just because we like the park and the area so much.
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Carol Moffett

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 06:10:54 PM »
Ha ha!  Yes, Laura, Dick is right!  That is exactly what happened to us last July.  We brought our old coach in for service and drove away 3+ weeks later with a "new to us" coach!  I couldn`t be happier, either!
Visiting Beaver Coach Sales is very much like going to a rally!
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 06:41:33 PM »
Thank you all for the info.  I feel much better now about staying there.  And as far as UPS trucks Larry just retired from UPS so he will be right at home!  We have already been looking at their inventory and I have one I'm dying to see but the info we received about the engine in it is not to Larry's standards but we will see.

We are scheduled for four days of service and plan to arrive Sunday for our Monday apt so hopefully that will get us a 50 amp space.  Now to decide where to stay in between!  So many good choices.
Laura
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 08:04:48 PM »
Not to put a crimp in Ty's potential sales record, but you guys have put an awful lot of cash, time, and hard work lately into making your Marquis top-notch.  With all that heart invested, it would seem a shame to trade it off now and start all over again before you've enjoyed this one in a glorious, relatively trouble-free state.  On the other hand, getting a coach from BCS means it likely will have few issues initially.  If you haul it back across the country, though, they won't be able to fix any that come up after-the-fact.

But hey, if while there you fall for another floor plan, technical and comfort level, and aesthetic like we did...    ;) .

The power train is most important, so don't coax Larry into settling for something he's never going be totally happy with, or may harbor hidden regret about.  Ty's team's livlihood depends on happy and repeat customers;  they won't ever knowingly steer you wrong nor use pressure sales tactics.  If they know what you like and the engine on one isn't up to Larry's snuff, they'd rather keep you in mind for when a rig comes in that's a perfect fit.

It's some miles away from Bend, but as an avid flyfisherman for the last half century or more, my favorite spot is the Forest Service campgrounds at Camp Sherman, along the Metolius River.  It's dry-camp of course, but the environs are phenomenal and relaxing if you need a break.  Midsummer, though, those campgrounds fill up and only certain ones have adequate big-rig sites;  for availability I prefer months other than June through Labor Day.  Sisters itself has become a tourist trap of sorts, but the relatively new RV park referred to (Bend/Sisters) is modern and big.  We haven't stayed there yet;  just Camp Sherman and once in the Sisters City Park campground, and many years ago at the two small RV parks at Camp Sherman if the Forest Service sites were full or we wanted hookups for some reason.  I can tell you that right after the big FMCA rally there will be next to nothing available in the forest nor RV parks in the region, so you are safest making a reservation - that is if you can by this date.

Speaking of that rally, be sure to sign up to have the RVSEF weigh your coach if that's never been properly done yet.

Joel
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:21:18 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 04:09:59 AM »
Joel
Yes I know what you mean we have put a lot of money and Larry has put many hours into our coach.  We do like the floor plan however now that we have lived in it for some time we realize that some of what we thought was important is not really that important and some things we never even considered.  For example Larry really liked the idea of two commodes but now we find that one would have been sufficient so that space could be used for something else.  Also the bathroom counter/cabinets are way more than we need however the layout of the kitchen is not ideal.  The kitchen sink is in the middle do the cabinets with uppers directly above it which makes it difficult to do dishes without bending over and somewhat under the cabinet to do dishes.

We do however love the wood work and Larry likes the CAT 12 engine.  The jackknife sofa is useless for guests to sleep on and is not very comfortable for sitting on as well.  We both love the euro recliner although Larry has managed to occupy it 99 percent of the time this trip.  So all in all nothing we can't deal with but...and that's a big but if we saw a newer coach with a more favorable floor plan we just might go for it but I doubt it.  Thus being our first ever tv we feel we should give it a year or two before even thinking of trading it in.
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15