Author Topic: Info on Rte from Gold Beach OR to Grants Pass OR  (Read 6988 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Info on Rte from Gold Beach OR to Grants Pass OR
« on: July 23, 2014, 11:29:50 PM »
I would like to cross from Gold Beach OR to Grant's Pass OR. Google Maps is routing me south to Crescent City CA to Rte 199 and back up. I have found a road called 595 Jerrys Flat Rd that follows the Rouge River until the Siskiyou National Forest where it is renamed NF33 and then renamed a few more times before it gets to I-5.

Is this road okay for the Beaver? It does look winding, but as long as its passable, that should not be a problem. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Stan

P.S. We don't have our passports with us, so the California route may not be possible!  8)  8)
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Roy C Tyler

Re: Info on Rte from Gold Beach OR to Grants Pass OR
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 01:01:47 AM »
Stan
I have not been on that road from Gold Beach to Grants Pass and I would not go on it in my car, let alone in my Beaver.  I have traveled the road from Gold Beach to Crescent City to Grants Pass and it is a pretty good road.  There is one spot that the rock edge hangs out over the road slightly in a turn but it would be in the on coming lane for you.  Time wise, running it through Google Maps, it is 30 minutes faster to go down to Crescent City. The other road from Gold Beach to Grants Pass is basically a logging road. The bug station coming into California from Oregon on 101 was closed when I came through 2 weeks ago. No money to keep it open.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 07:50:22 AM »
I'll back up Roy here, Stan.  I wouldn't take my coach on what amounts to a logging road - NF33 stands for National Forest road 33.  You can take Jerry's Flat up the south side of the river to Agness okay, and even stay at the nifty RV park there overlooking the Rogue, but beyond Agness I would not venture.  It may look tempting, heck you may even get through it unscathed, but you'll likely use up time slowly negotiating mountain climbs, washboard, and curves, dust up a lot of components uneccessarily, and burn up a lot of fuel on slow low-geared climbs and hairpin curves you have to repeatedly accelerate out of;  you might just as well take the longer but good highway 199 and spare yourself potential grief.

Joel
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:02:29 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 03:12:00 AM »
Thank you Roy and Joel. US 199 it is!

Let me take this opportunity to say to you Oregonians that your coast is just beautiful! We have been to Astoria, Seaside, Tillamook, and Waldport for a few days each, as a base, and have explored all the coastal towns in between. We particularly like Newport (we've driven up there from Waldport the last two days) and Tillamook. The Cheese factory there was a treat and we hiked up a trail to see Munson Creek Falls. We've managed to see every lighthouse available so far..albeit Tilly was long distance from the mainland.  :)

Saturday we leave for Lakeside to explore north and south of there, and then on the 30th we'll be heading down to Gold Beach before heading toward Crater Lake, before Redmond.

We were lucky to find a spot in Gold Beach. Seems there is a big Country Western gathering happening on he 30th thru the 2nd, and several parks said there was nothing open from Florence to Crescent City.

Again, thanks for the information on the route!

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Larry Williams

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »
Quote from: Stan Simpson
Thank you Roy and Joel. US 199 it is!

Saturday we leave for Lakeside to explore north and south of there, and then on the 30th we'll be heading down to Gold Beach before heading toward Crater Lake, before Redmond.

Stan,

Even though I don't live in Oregon I am close enough to go there often. I concur with your  love of the beauty.

When you head south of Gold Beach to Crescent City be sure to stop in Brookings. It has a beautiful state park there but our favorite is a county run RV park (Beachfront RV Park) in the harbor. It is right on the levee and you park your rig about 100 feet from the beach. It is very pleasant to sit in or outside your coach and watch the ocean. While the park is a little run down, the view more than makes up for it.

Also when you go to Crater Lake be sure to bring lots of mosquito repellent. While a beautiful spot, you can get eaten alive if not prepared.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:21:08 PM by 21337 »

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 07:08:13 PM »
Quote from: Larry Williams
Stan,

Even though I don't live in Oregon I am close enough to go there often. I concur with your  love of the beauty.

When you head south of Gold Beach to Crescent City be sure to stop in Brookings. It has a beautiful state park there but our favorite is a county run RV park (Beachfront RV Park) in the harbor. It is right on the levee and you park your rig about 100 feet from the beach. It is very pleasant to sit in or outside your coach and watch the ocean. While the park is a little run down, the view more than makes up for it.

Also when you go to Crater Lake be sure to bring lots of mosquito repellent. While a beautiful spot, you can get eaten alive if not prepared.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Larry,

We ARE going to stop in Brookings. We want to see Loeb State Park where the giant redwoods, that are not in California, are. We understand there is a couple of groves to see. Next year is California, the redwoods, Sequoia NP, Kings Canyon NP, and Yosemite, God willing.

Stan

2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 11:22:58 PM »
A few years ago a man took his family on that road in the winter. They were unprepared and got stuck in the snow. The man tried to walk down to civilization following a creek and died in the process. The family was rescued after a couple of days. Not a good place for anything but a 4 wheel drive.