Author Topic: Reliable mechanic in Billings MT  (Read 5696 times)

Kathy Hood

Reliable mechanic in Billings MT
« on: July 05, 2014, 06:35:02 AM »
In Billings, Montana.  Have transmission line leak.  Anyone know of local shop?
This is husband, Gary, by the way.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 03:58:40 AM by 5 »

Joel Weiss

Re: Reliable mechanic in Billings MT
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 03:47:19 PM »
I don't know if you've ever used RVServiceReviews.com or not, but there's a very positive, very recent review for an outfit in Billings that ought to be able to handle it.  If they can't at least they can probably recommend someone who can.  

Here's the link to it: http://www.rvservicereviews.com/ReviewDetails.asp?Submit=&FacilityID=1268&State=MT&Search=&CategoryID=

Kathy Hood

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 10:03:26 PM »
Thanks for the link.  We lucked out on a sat./ holiday weekend.  Park recommended someone who came out and checked.  It is a hydraulic line to the slide out.  We are trying to figure out how to lock the slider in so we can travel to the place we need to be...where there is a mechanic we know.  
Anyone know any tricks on the slider?

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 11:20:18 PM »
I don't know specifically what model you have, but in the 2000-2001 timeframe Beaver is known to have undersized the hydraulic hoses (either by accident or poor procurement) for the main slide.  The pressure rating should be at least 5,000 psi but the hoses used were 2,500 psi.  Many of us have had those replaced.  I had mine done by a truck service center in Sioux Falls.  The lines themselves are several hundred dollars because 6,000 psi line isn't cheap and the labor consists of threading the new lines along the frame rails.  Most of us have left the old lines in place after flushing or capping them.  It cost me ~$1000 three years ago and most of a day.

As for keeping the slide in, I don't have a lot of encouragement.  If yours is a Magnum chassis Beaver, the main slide uses a double-sided cylinder so one side is always under pressure, either to keep it in or out.  With one side unpressurized there is no easy way to keep it in.  I could barely go around a corner before I needed to shut everything down so I could bring the slide in again.  I honestly don't think you need to go home to a known mechanic; this isn't rocket science.

Good luck, and BTW, be sure to replace both hoses even though the leak is only in one of them.  

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 11:29:03 PM »
Joel, why couldn't they just lay a length of 2X2 or 2X4 between the closed slide's lip inside at floor level and the adjoining coach wall, on one or both sides?  I'm presuming, perhaps erroneiously, from the sound of Kathy's last post that they got the slide in already and need to "lock" it in.

-Joel A.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 11:57:59 PM »
Joel is correct.  You can use anything (books, wood, metal) to block the slide from the inside of the MH behind the driver's seat.  I figured that out after driving 500 miles with it going in and out with turns to the left and right.

Larry

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 12:30:35 AM »
Joel,

What you propose probably will work.  I got mine repaired quickly enough that I never had to search for a "long term" solution.  We limped into Sioux Falls and the truck center recommended by a friend was literally across the street from the RV park we were staying at.

Personally, I would just have it fixed where they are.  Now that I know what it entails, it isn't that big a deal.  The young technician who did ours had never worked on a MH in his life, but the entire job was finished by 3pm and we were on our way.

Joel

Kathy Hood

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 06:01:05 AM »
Thanks so much for all the info.  We learned so much about the slide.  I will let the husband/mechanic explain what he did.  Long story short, Kat came out with updates as I was working to figure what was going on.  Your info was perfectly timed and right on.  With info in mind I headed for the hardware store and bought 2 600 lb test tie down straps, 2  10 " x 1/4" bolts and a 2x2 board, figure this saved me 2 more trips if the tie downs didn't work.  Got lucky and didn't have to drill holes for the bolts as the tie downs did the trick, just in case I'm using the 2 x 2 also.  We are headed for Rapid City tomorrow then Sioux Falls the next day.  I will call Beaver Monday morning for their guidance, would also like the name of the truck stop / RV park so maybe I can duplicate what Weiss did.  Again, thanks for your in put, it really did help as we can hit the road in the morning.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 06:20:54 AM »
I'm not sure the tie-downs were needed.  Using 2X2's on the floor at one end of a slideout has been for many years a common and simple way of securing all sorts of RV slide outs or "tip outs" while on the road.  Lacking a 2x2 in a pinch, like in the middle of nowhere with a cantankerous slideout with leaky solenoids that wants to pop out on its own, one might have to get creative;  anything solid between the slide lip and coach wall until repairs can be done.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Weiss

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 03:09:37 PM »
Quote from: Kathy Hood
I will call Beaver Monday morning for their guidance, would also like the name of the truck stop / RV park so maybe I can duplicate what Weiss did.  Again, thanks for your in put, it really did help as we can hit the road in the morning.

Our repair was done at:
Wheelco--Sioux Falls
4904 W. 12th Street, 57107
(605) 336-0405
(800) 952-3674

They're a pretty large outfit.  Here's their website:  http://www.wheelco.com/index.cfm

One thing that turned out to be an advantage about having them do the work was that, because they're a parts place, they fabricate their own hydraulic hoses complete with connectors so they didn't have to run around finding ones of the right length.

The night before we stayed at:

Tower Campground
4501 W 12th St
Sioux Falls, SD 57106

which is like a block or two down 12th street from Wheelco.

I can tell you that replacement of both hoses cost me $1022 on 7/12/2011.

Good luck,
Joel

Kathy Hood

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 12:50:06 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  Joel, we have talked to Wheelco and are in their parking lot this morning with a 7am appt.!  

Joel Weiss

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 02:36:37 PM »
Quote from: Kathy Hood
Thanks for all the info.  Joel, we have talked to Wheelco and are in their parking lot this morning with a 7am appt.!  

Glad I was able to help.  If I only knew the name of the tech who fixed mine, it might even save more time.  But I'm sure they'll get you back on the road.