Author Topic: ENTRY DOOR-GETTING "LOCKED IN"  (Read 2344 times)

LEAH DRAPER

ENTRY DOOR-GETTING "LOCKED IN"
« on: July 07, 2014, 07:20:50 PM »
This not exactly a new thread but an old one.  Below is from and older post.......

"This may not help you with getting the door opened but it may help with it not happening again.  Before our Contessa we had the door on our Diplomat do the same thing.  The only difference was I noticed that the door handle on the outside was requiring a lot of 'snap of the wrist' to get  the door to open.  After a while it got so bad that I decided to look into the issue.

It turns out that inside the door there is a 1/4" threaded rod that runs vertically and allows an adjustment of the two 'U' grabbers that keep the door closed tight.  The adjustment had worked its way from its origingal setting and it was a simple matter to adjust the 1/4" nuts on the rod so that the grabbers worked smoothly and didn't jam."

I am having this problem NOW.  I called BCS this AM regarding it and was told that  most of the door had to be taken apart to access these rods INCLUDING TAKING THE WINDOW OUT!!  I am blown away and can't believe this has to happen.  BCS suggested taking it to some one who knows how to fix to get it fixed.  My issue is I don't trust a whole lot of repair idiots who think they know what they are doing and end up not fixing it or make things worse.  

Has anybody else had this problem and can shed some thoughts/experience etc more than I found and posted above.

I have to move the RV tomorrow for some work on my RV port and am afraid to get into to move it IF I can't get back out!!

Leah
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:25:47 PM by 282 »

Bill Sprague

Re: ENTRY DOOR-GETTING "LOCKED IN"
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 09:43:51 PM »
Leah,

I once got locked in somewhere in Nova Scotia.  Wally Kimble got us out by opening the door from the outside.  He and I spent a couple hours taking the door apart and fabricating a replacement for a two cent part.  We did not have to remove the window.  There are adjustments inside that can make the door work better and they are not too complicated, but I don't know how to advise selecting a mechanic.  

It did start me thinking about getting in and out without a working door.  BJ does not like it, but I frequently leave a window unlocked so I can get in with a ladder.  There are three windows I could crawl out, but it would help if someone outside had a ladder and could help me.  

Good luck with this.  Something as basic as a door seems like it should be reliable.