Author Topic: I have many questions  (Read 6526 times)

Frank Towle

I have many questions
« on: December 27, 2014, 02:42:41 AM »
Ha, Ha.  I have lots of questions with no answers... yet!

Like:
1.  What is the best cleaner/polish to use on my Walnut cabinets?  Have tried Old English lemon oil.  Gets all over the place including solid surface counter tops and then need to use Granite cleaner to get the Old English off.

2.  How should the coax really be routed between the selector box to the left of drivers seat and rest of audo?  Don't want to rip everything out.  In fact would like to leave 'vintage' 2001 version but don't know what the wiring diagram should look like.  Expect every coach was almost custom in nature.

3.  Datron dish was ripped off at some time in the past (holes were patched by dealer).  Would like to put either original back on, or replace with similar.  What's the best solution for that?  Still have the Datron controller and Sony DirecTV receiver and would like to make use of those components. 

4.  Know the batwing antenna is no longer functional because everything is now digital (yuch!).  What's the best replacement?  Coach was retrofitted with Wingard digital yagi and two different Magnavox converters installed for existing TV's (which still work fine and don't need replacing - remember keep vintage 2001).  Looks like the 'saucer' style is current favorite, is that the one?

5.  Read the threads of SMC frame-to-axle leveling system not functioning.  This one seems to work OK, but would like more details of function and what the different combinations of lights mean.  I always end up with some blinking light that doesn't go out after the system 'thinks' coach is level (it's not, but close enough for government work). 

6.  Hydro-Hot is AMAZING in it's implementation and capabilities.  I would like to replace filter and nozzle myself as quite smoky when running (but really heats water and cabin very quickly compared to electric element).  Is this doable with general mechanical skills?  Yes, I know which way to turn a screwdriver.  We are very close to a certified tech but would like to avoid the $150+ service call just to do the tune-up.

So, here's a few issues to for the ole timers on the board to chew on and offer opinions.  We're fulltimers now in Florida for the winter and are getting used to personality of Thunder.   Really appreciate the knowledge base provided by this forum - keep it up!!!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: I have many questions
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 06:24:12 AM »
Frank,
1. Best polish I've found is Oz Polish, recommended by some of the cabinet shops in Bend. Recently also heard Wizard's Shine Master was recommended by a cabinet shop for our woodwork but haven't tried it yet. Both are available on Amazon.
2. Is it coax or RCA cables? Coax would be used for TV/cable, not audio. Need more info on your equipment to be accurate. One possibility is switches select Satellite or park cable/air antenna and output is to TV or VCR, which then feeds TVs.
3. Datron controller is a "boat anchor". Best solution is new external dish and controller if you want HD. If HD is not important you could go with a dome with small dish inside. Downside with dome is no HD and possible marginal signal due to small dish size.
4. Batwing antenna should still work if you run signal through a converter. They are available at Radio Shack, etc. Be sure you have the booster on (red light will be on)  when getting air/antenna signals.
5. Not sure of which system you have (IDS or HWH). Manuals should be available in Members Only section or on web. Blinking light probably indicates system can't fully level coach. Possible causes are a stuck jack or a level sensor that requires calibration.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Grant Ralston

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 02:47:22 PM »
Frank,
You may want to consider upgrading your existing batwing for digital signals.  Winegard makes a HD batwing with the same mounting casting as your original, so no new holes in the roof.  Mounting was very easy and the "free" over the air reception has worked well for us.  If your existing batwing is in good shape they also have a replacement head, but I needed to upgrade the entire unit.
Grant

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 12:19:01 AM »
Our batwing has worked for its original analog use and digital signals.  There is an add-on available that fits on older Winegard batwings, and supposedly is for digital signal reception, but ours seems to work just fine as is.  Both TV's are flat-screen but analog, so converters are in place. 

My only real gripe is they are 60Hz and offer an annoying trailing "ghost" image whenever there is much movement onscreen.  It's like watching TV through a fishbowl.  120 Hz is better,  but 240 improves even more;  finding a digital replacement TV below 49" these days with more than 120 Hz refresh rate is tough though, so common coach replacements of 32" and 40" will still suffer a little fishbowl effect.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Frank Towle

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 12:55:44 AM »
    What a great source of knowledge.  Thanks to all, and all advice well taken.

• Will look into Oz and Wizard, might even get spouse to help.
    • All coax to selector, it's there and connected, but don't have the usage combinations figured out yet.  Except for Ant/DVD, don't have working satellite so can't check out that part (yet).  Wonder if diagrams were ever created and available?  Some markings on coax cables but probably need signal injector to trace actual paths. See #4
    • Sorry Datron is/was a bust - would have liked to keep rig as vintage as possible, not really pushing for HD, mostly watch old movies and eyes are not so good anyway.  If anyone out there has a working dish, would consider paying for shipping.
    • Discovered the SECRET with Winegard batwingHD that had been installed with a Magnavox converter on each of the original Sony TV's, PLUS, really bad reception with Digital Cable connected via Cisco converters.  Didn't work very well very few channels available in either mode.  Pulled out antenna amp and checked splitter.  The SPLITTER was still the 900Mhz version so of course most transmissions were attenuated below receivable threshold.  Picked up 3.5Ghz splitter at box store and wa-la, now have almost perfect receiption with both inputs.
    • Early IDS leveler with single pump system.  Have spent the most time wringing my hands and loosing sleep with this almost working system.  As we all know there is no way to manually control with fingers on buttons and a bubble level like I used to do with '96 Patriot. After reading thru posts here, searching web and finding the controller black box, inspecting the rusted thru drywall screws (why on earth!) and deteriorating foam rubber seat..  went to local ACE and bought 3 light weight conical springs and 3 galvanized deck screws.  Was able to level coach using the 'Semi' button with bubble level and stopping before all lights were out.  NOW THE FIX:  Unscrewed controller and removed rubber gunk that had been compressed beyond usefulness.  Mounted controller on top of springs (2  nearest outside wall, 1 centered on inside),  screwed thru controller and spring into floor.   Leveled controller with trusty bubble by adjusting each of the three screws, turned system on and found the same 'out of level' lights as before...  WHAT THE....  [Light Bulb]: Turned OUT screw corresponding to flashing low indicator - spring pushing controller up at that corner/side, that light went out; then turned OUT screw for next one - GREEN LIGHT!!!  It might take a few more fractional turns of the mounting screws but with care the system is alive and well.  I've cycled the system several times since and always comes back level.

Again thanks to all for heading me down the right path with these systems.  Will continue to view and contribute if I can to this forum.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 02:05:39 AM »
Frank,
For entertainment system diagrams use the following path;
-Members Only Board
-Coach Assist
-Select link in first post (from Tim Bentley)
-Beaver Wiring Diagrams
-Marquis part 1 has factory diagrams for both Marquis and Patriot.
Good luck, Steve
Steve

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 03:41:39 AM »
Just tried Wizards Polish. Easier to apply and remove than Oz and removes surface dirt much much better that Oz. Shine is awesome. Thanks to Jim Domenoe for the tip! Try it, you'll like it.
http://www.amazon.com/Wizards-11033-Shine-Master-Polish/dp/B005ZH10O8?tag=beavambaclub-20&linkCode=w13&linkID=CSZVA34WTPHLYY6X&ref_=assoc_res_sw_result_1
Steve
Steve

Frank Towle

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 04:00:52 AM »
Thanks Steve, show me some pics of before and after. 

Don't have the high gloss finish on Patriot, just want to clean and protect existing without making mirrors out of everything :D