Author Topic: Entry door unlatches while driving-05 Monterey 34  (Read 7317 times)

Larry and Heidi Lee

Entry door unlatches while driving-05 Monterey 34
« on: March 10, 2010, 07:53:32 PM »
05 Beaver Monterey Bayview 4 34'
My entry door "unlatches" while I am driving my coach within the first 30 minutes. The door is still latched but seems to open itself to the first detent, just enough that it rattles and air seeps in. I have to pull off the road, open the door and close it. For the rest of the trip the door is fine. I checked the door pin posts, latch mechanisms and could not visually see anything loose or out of alignment. I did notice two "supermagnets" stuck to the upper corner of the main entry door that contacts with the screen but thats about it. Another oddity is my step stayed extended out while driving recently. Obviously it goes in automatically while driving so something else is amiss here. Ideas?  :-/

Gerald Farris

Re: Entry door unlatches while driving-05 Monterey 34
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 04:54:39 AM »
Larry,
I have never seen a problem like you are experiencing with your door. I would suggest that you call Beaver Coach Sales service department to see they have ever seen a similar problem, and travel with the deadbolt set as an extra safety margin until a correction is found.

Gerald  

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 03:37:12 AM »
Larry,
My entry door did exactly like yours. The receiver that the door latches onto on our Amethyst was seized up. It is supposed to slide up and down so the slight movement of the door when driving won't unlock it.  The latch post is mounted to a sliding plate. I squirted Blaster in there and light tapping with a hammer finally freed it up.  No more open door at 70 mph!,

John Sinnar

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 03:38:52 PM »
You need to make sure you close the door with a solid pull to make it fully closed.
The 2005 Beaver Monterey also has an inflatable bulb seal that is pressurized when the trans is put in gear.
The compressor and adjuster should be located on the outside front bulkhead behind the RH headlamp area

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 05:58:38 AM »
While this is an old post resurrected, it is an issue I recently dealt with on our coach, also an '05 Bayview 4. Perhaps the following may help:

The outside door handle on ours was too hard for my wife to operate, (it didn't trigger the latches until it was pulled almost 90 degrees) so while we were at ARG for a Norcold repair, we asked that they adjust the mechanism. Once they finished, the change in handle movement was dramatic - the door mechanism triggered almost immediately.  The tech explained how he had adjusted the actuating rod turnbuckles to shorten them up the linkage length and take the play out of the mechanism.  Sounded like sound wisdom and it worked great for about an hour when all of a sudden the door popped to the safety detent, and the step light came on as we traversed a section of rough pavement. Pulled off, closed the door tightly, set off again, and it all happened again several times.  Fighting to get to our next destination where we had a long-reserved, non-refundable costly travel ticket, we continued on to our next destination. There, I decided to investigate the issue myself. Found that the adjustment made at ASG allowed for quick release, but conversely did NOT allow the latch to fully bottom on the pin to fully lock the door.  Loosened the lower turnbuckle and backed it off a few flats so the latch bottomed and locked it into place in the new location.  The handle now released about mid-travel, my wife can operate it and it does not open anymore while underway. So, while ours was an adjustment, it's feasible that a dry, binding mechanism could cause a similar failure of the latch engagement and an untimely popping of the door to partially open.
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium

Carol Moffett

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 01:48:57 PM »
 :oWe ALWAYS make sure to throw the deadbolt before traveling!  Our door never pops open while on the road!
Just makes sense.
Carol
:^3=~
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Dennis Evans

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 03:30:14 AM »

Neal, did you have to take the whole door apart, including removing the window to adjust the turnbuckles?