Author Topic: Fresh Water tank-leak  (Read 3830 times)

Glenn Scherrer

Fresh Water tank-leak
« on: July 09, 2014, 04:52:00 AM »
I have a leak in my water tank  does any one know what kind of glue will seal and stick to the plastic water tank
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 08:22:44 PM by 5 »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Fresh Water tank-leak
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 05:09:25 AM »
Check out this thread.
Steve
 BAC Forum  ›  General Boards  ›  Technical Support  ›  Fresh holding tank leak
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 07:47:11 AM »
Since the Plumber's Goop used in the thread from last December that Steve alludes to seems to have worked for Gary Wolfer on his tank, I'd certainly give it a try.  http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1387731223/s-7/highlight-fresh+holding+tank+leak/#num7

I've tried all kinds of glues over the years that claim some degree of plastic bonding, but that usually fail.  But in the last 6 months I began using Permatex PermaPoxy 5 min Plastic Weld with pretty good success.  I'm not a fan of the syringe type epoxy dispensers, and find that trying to get even amounts of hardener and base out can be challenging, but the end results in just about every repair has been great.

My one gripe was that when they say 5 minutes they mean 5 minutes.  It sets up so fast that I usually had trouble getting it smeared on just right before it got too sticky to nicely form into the wanted shape.  The other day I discovered Loctite Epoxy Plastic Bonder and tried it on a broken switch on a favorite old large flashlight (you know, the "they don't make them like that anymore" type).  It sets up in 20 minutes, leaving more time to properly work it the way it needs to be.  It takes a bit longer to cure than the PermaTex stuff, but works just as well;  both cure into a cream color with a slight amber/yellow hue.  In fact because its a little runnier, the Loctite probably penetrates cracks better.  The Loctite package claims heat and chemical resistance, so I tried it on an old cracked 2-cycle fuel tank after thoroughly cleaning it.  I used the PermaTex to fill a couple 1/2" holes since its set-up time allows it to stay put better without much sag;  then after it set up I did the cracks inside the tank and out, and a top off over the filled holes with the runnier Loctite.

I haven't tried the leak test on it yet, nor fuel, but it looks darned good to me so far.  I'm just glad to finally find glues that can be used to rejoin and rebuild broken plastic parts.  The money saved by not having to buy whole new contraptions, just because one plastic thing broke, or because the device is no longer made, will likely be substantial.

;) Joel
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:58:33 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 10:16:19 PM »
I've been told that the Eternabond tape will stick to anything.  Will that work?
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 06:14:11 AM »
Plumbers goup will work. I put a dab on the tip of my finger and sealed a crack about 1 " long and sealed around the intake where the molded piece in the tank was leaking. There was water present and I dryed it off with a towel and quickly dabbed Plumbers goup on and it never leaked again however I would suggest you drain the tank and put a light bulb near it for a better seal. It says seals in a few minutes but cures in 24 hours. You can find it at home depot for one. I woke up to a wet kitchen floor the morning I sealed the tank and never leaked again. (Joel for gluing two things together I have to agree with you there is nothing better than 2 part epoxy. When I was a kid I made costume jewelry I bought parts at the local rock shop. When my mother passed away she still had pieces i made and they were worn over the years and still together. )(Jerry speaking of Eterna Bond. It sticks really good and the only way I was able to replace it on my seams was with a heat gun and pair of pliers. One thing I found for my purpose that I liked better was Dicor makes a similar product but it has a scrim kinda like fiberglass mat one the top side and the bottom is like eternabond If you are coating a roof with Dicor for a fiberglass roof it will stick to the scrim and fill in with two coats where eternabond has a slippery finish and it will always peel.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 06:32:19 AM by 20609 »