Author Topic: B20 Diesel  (Read 8997 times)

Jerry Parker

B20 Diesel
« on: July 11, 2014, 10:36:52 PM »
I have a 98 Patriot with a 3126 Cat engine. I am wondering if I can burn B20 Diesel (20% BIO)? I need to fill up before leaving town for a campout and there is a station that just started selling it an it is .20 per gal less than diesel with 5% BIO in it .  Thanks for any info. you can give me.

Jerry & Carol Parker
Prineville, Oregon

Tom and Pam Brown

Re: B20 Diesel
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 11:05:57 PM »
I would think as long as your filters are up to date no issues.  However, I think I would give Cat a call just to be sure.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 02:42:55 AM »
I have a local Phillips 76 station whose owner sends out regular email newsletters.  Yesterday came one that explained how Phillips refuses to supply B20, which is just as well since he won't have anything to do with B20 anyway.  His competitors across the street (Damascus, OR) and in the area are going to B20 because it is tax-free in Oregon, so they can sell it 30 cents cheaper.  Thankfully, I frequent only Pacific Pride outlets for coach fuel.

In Oregon, diesel is mandated to be at least 5%.  The City of Portland has flirted with mandating B10.  Minnesota I guess has gone to a B10 mandate.  Almost all Oregon Pacific Pride stations sell B5 only;  one in North Portland sells only B20.  A brief perusal of the Directory reveals that Washington, Idaho, Montana, and California Pacific Prides virtually all sell good old unadulterated #2 diesel.  

An online search indicates that engine mfrs., including CAT, okay up to B20, but from there up they advise regular engine fluids analysis.  It would seem that the higher the biodiesel content, the greater the tendency to attract water, and the greater chance of contaminants.  As Tom mentions, filters may require more frequent changes.   It seems kinda dumb since biodiesel at B20 is like 8% less efficient, or thereabouts, so what are we really gaining ecologically when all parameters are considered?

Is the 20-30 cent tax savings worth the extra effort and cost of more frequent oil analysis and filter changes, and additional algicide additive?  That's gonna be an individual call.

-Joel
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:08:36 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Parker

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 03:35:44 PM »
Thanks for the input. I would not consider the B20 blend in the winter, but I thought it was worth checking out since it is summer. The claim from the station selling the B20 is that it meets all the same specs.as regular diesel, but of course they want to sell it. I would like to hear from anyone that has used it in their Beaver.
Jerry

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 03:57:03 PM »
Jerry,

I would also want to be sure that any other unit on your coach would handle B20 like an Aqua/Hydro hot or the genset. It is a question for all of those units.

Later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 03:58:34 PM »
Jerry,
I have used B 20 diesel several times in my C 12 with no adverse problems, but since there is less heat value in B 20 than there is in diesel fuel I prefer not to use it. However, with the tax laws and restrictions that the environmental lobby has pushed through in some parts of the country, it is more convenient if not required to use as your fuel source. So if you travel extensively, the use of B 10 to B 20 will become necessary at times.

Gerald  

Jerry Parker

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 02:57:23 AM »
I hadn't given thought to the Hurricane system or the generator. Good point! I don't think it is worth using, unless forced into it if somewhere it is the only fuel available.  Thanks Gerald for you input. I have a choice of the fuel I buy in the Northwest. May not be that way in the future.
I appreciate all the feedback from everyone.
Jerry Parker

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 01:54:40 PM »
Less btu per gallon.  My mpg is less.  I avoid when I can.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Jerry Sanders

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 08:12:37 PM »
I have a neighbor in the fuel business and he advocates avoiding B10 or B20.  His clients using B20 resulted in injector pumps and injectors failing due to seals exposed to the high bio diesel.  He feels B5 is not a major risk for the short term but recommends staying with regular diesel fuel.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 01:59:31 PM »
https://mining.cat.com/cda/files/2785315/7/AlternativeFuels_Eng.pdf Good article on the use of Biodiesel. On the 3126 engine Cat owners manual states B10 or lower. I have not checked to see if there has been a revision with Cat. I would check with them.