Author Topic: Girard G-2000 Patio Awning  (Read 8101 times)

Lee Welbanks

Girard G-2000 Patio Awning
« on: August 09, 2014, 08:34:02 PM »
Every once in awhile the awning decides on its own to go out, for no reason it just goes all the way out. When it does this the switch over the door has no affect on it, will not make it stop or retract. Have to use the remote control to get it back in, although it will retract if the wind blows hard enough.
All the switch does is make momentary contact with the two wires that signal the controller to act. Thought it might be the switch closing by itself, switch checked out to be ok.
Talked to tech at Girard and they put their heads together and said it was probably the MS-1 Current Limiting device between the controller and the motor, I could be wrong but I can't figure that would make the awning cycle by itself.
My question to the folks in here is: Does anybody have a clue where the controller for the awning is located? The awning is mounted on the slide not the coach, I have looked in all the cabinets, behind micro wave etc. I'm wondering if it might be under the counter someplace?
Or has anybody else had this same issue with a Girard Awning?
This is a 06 Patriot Thunder thought I should add that.

neil omalley

Re: Girard G-2000 Patio Awning
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 09:33:02 PM »
Lee: on my '05 Thunder the controller was mounted on the wall behind the dvd/vcr in the cabinet over the fwd passenger seat. I was able to follow the wires from the switch to the controller but I had to remove the dvd/vcr Sony Aquus system to access it.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 08:54:32 PM »
I can say for fact that the controller is not in the cabinet where all the entertainment boxes are, big rats nest behind the panel but not control box, can't believe they could stuff that much wire in such a small space.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 07:58:33 PM »
Ok went back and found the awning control box and current limiting box, they are mounted in the front of the cabinet, only makes sense once I took a  good look at thing.
Took the panel off and as soon as I moved some wires the awning took off, moved wires again and it stopped. Opened up both boxes and started checking wires pulling on the power wires going out to the current box would cause it to start, took a small instrument screwdriver and pushing on the bottom of the board would make it start out or in.
Called Girard and the tech said that I have a bad connection in the board and told me to remove and heat the back up with a heat gun to see if I could get it to make a good connection.
Other option: Get new board for a kings ransom or install a three way switch and just manually operate the awning.
I'm going to see if heating up board works and also check out a few of the motorhome salvage yards to see what they might have.
I would dought that anybody in here has a board laying around but if they do let me know.
And the beat goes on.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 01:06:21 AM »
Update on the Girard Awning fix. Removed the control board and under close inspection under high magnification a couple of the soldered connections on the back side of the board in the area of the left bottom corner did not look very secure. I figured what the heck let's try and re-solder three of the connections and see what happens. Got out the mini soldering device, thinnest solder I have, on with the Binohead Magnifier at 40x and darned if the three connections re-soldered great.
Installed back in the Beaver, was a task getting all the wires back in their correct spots and tight. Time for the smoke test, flipped the breaker on, nothing happened, good so far. Hit the remote for out and click and out the awning went, stop, returned. Hit the manual switch above the door and success. Now to test if pushing of the board will make it cycle, nothing happened works like new again.
Love it when you finally get something right.

I attached a couple of pics of the front and back of the board.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 01:56:55 AM »
Lee,
Way to go! Finding faulty joints can be a real pain.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 01:58:05 AM »
Good job Dude.

I've suggested in a few threads the last year that many devices can be fixed this way, after discovering how to do it myself, and encountering micro-cracked solder points on several failed circuit boards.  A little know how can save an awful lot of money.  How much did a tad of solder cost vs. the hassle and expense of an entire new control, and in most cases you don't even need to add fresh solder - just remelt and coalesce the old.

Anytime you see unexplainable erratic device behavior, DC or AC, and ground connections are found clean and solid, there's a great chance the problem is an almost imperceptible crack in a solder joint on a circuit board somewhere.  It's especially true for devices subject to cyclic heating and cooling, like TV-audio components in our front caps, convection microwaves, and others, but I even found it in a wireless computer mouse last fall.

It's far more common than we realize, and is now my main suspect when electric things go south.  As you allude, it does take a quality magnifier to spot the cracks;  I use the kind that fits over my head and has two eyepieces.  I've caught solder cracks with that that got missed in cursory prechecks with a common handheld magnifying glass.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 02:38:49 AM »
Joel,

With this board I could actually see a bit of separation between the terminal point and the solder joint the three soldered points did not look very sound so I figured what the heck give it a shot. The Girard tech had said to heat the back of the board up with a heat gun, but I figured the real deal would work better. They must have had a few others with the same problem if he came up with that solution.
I think with my headset magnifier I get to 20x which in the bright sun you can see pretty good. We'll see how long she lasts, now I'll have a extra DPDT paddle switch I ordered if this didn't work. Spare parts!