Author Topic: Dash Air Charge Port For 2005 Monterey  (Read 11407 times)

Keith Duner

Dash Air Charge Port For 2005 Monterey
« on: August 17, 2014, 01:16:56 PM »
I did a search using dash A/C and Monterey and found the question, but not the answer.  Does anyone know where I might find the dash a/c charge port on a 2005 Monterey?  Thanks in advance.

Bill Sprague

Re: Dash Air Charge Port For 2005 Monterey
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 03:06:09 PM »
On our '04 it is above the generator.  You have to extend the genset to find it.  

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 03:55:13 PM »
Keith,
Monaco and SMC were no very concerned about coach owner access to the A/C service ports (charge ports). The vast majority of coaches have the factory service ports located under the front cap, close to the evaporator core. If you have a front mounted generator, they will usually be above the generator towards the driver's side of center. There are a lot of A/C shops that will install an extra set of service ports at the compressor for ease of recharging the system when extensive repairs are made.

However, there were a few coaches like some of the California 40s that SMC actually installed service ports at the compressor. On some rear radiator coaches the service ports were installed inline just before the lines leave the engine area, and the valves can only be reached from under the coach. So if you do not know the location of your A/C service valves, it will require some searching, but if they are not at the compressor, start looking by the evaporator core under the front cap.

Gerald    

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 04:27:24 PM »
On our 2005 Monterey, just above the compressor on the engine. They're covered by a number of hoses, so you have to spread them around a bit, or feel in between them. They are not in the front cap.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 04:46:51 PM »
Stan,
The service ports at your compressor were probably an aftermarket addition, but Monaco did install a few at the compressor. You probably have a set under the front cap also, but they can be very difficult to locate, and that is the reason that some A/C shops install an extra set at the compressor.

Gerald

Keith Duner

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 05:36:01 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  Before submitting my post I did an extensive search inside the front cap with the generator extended and never found anything.  If it turns out that they are in fact there, I'll have to hire a pigmy contortionist to do the job because this old carcass can't get any deeper into the front cap.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 08:38:58 PM »
Keith,
A pigmy probably can not reach them. You need someone between 5' 6" and 6 foot, but the thing that gives us old people a problem is that he needs to weigh about 100 pounds and be very flexible. Remember that Monaco installed the dash A/C system completely before installing the front cap, so they had no problem with accessibility.

Automobile manufacturers are no better. In my other life as an auto mechanic at a new car dealer, there was one model car that you had to remove the engine to replace a rubber A/C hose. Owners were very unhappy when they were told that it was $3,000 labor to replace a $100 hose.

Gerald

Keith Duner

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 10:42:34 PM »
Gerald:  I think I fail both tests, I'm about twice 100 lbs and not at all flexible.  I'll take one more look tomorrow before giving up the ghost.  I sympathize  with your experience with automobile manufactures.  Heavy truck OEMs were just as bad.  I've seen applications where the entire cab had to be removed to access the transmission.  As a young pup truck mechanic I worked on a fire truck (City of Chicago's first high rise ladder truck).  It took an honest 19 hours labor just to remove the transmission (that's just R... not R and R).  Needless to say Allison was a bit miffed at the OEM over their goofy installation.    

Jerald Cate

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 02:12:07 AM »
Keith,
I'm experiencing the same problem with my 2003 Patriot Thunder.  I've had it to 2 dealers so far and both said they either didn't want to take on the challenge or don't have anyone that will fit in the confined space.  Gerald is right about the location of the charge ports you just have to keep looking.  I finally resorted to sticking a camera above the generator and found the low pressure port that way.  I've resigned myself to taking my coach to a Monaco dealer to see if they can fix my dash air.  I'm headed to Indiana so if anyone can recommend a good dealer or repair facility in Indiana I'd appreciate the info.  Also, if anyone is aware of any retrofit kits for the charge ports and expansion valve I'd be very interested in that information.

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 02:42:25 AM »
I have the same issue on my 05 Patriot Thunder and haven't been able to locate the recharge ports so have been running the Genset and roof airs during particularly hot days driving which works better than the dash air at the best of times. Burns a bit of extra diesel of course but is a work around until I can find the ports.
Just a thought,
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

Keith Duner

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 02:47:57 AM »
Thanks for the camera idea, I'll try that Jerald.  Dwight, I'll have to do the same on our next trip.  Hopefully the weather will be cooler after Labor day.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 03:30:20 AM »
Recharge ports are on the compressor. The ac drier is under front cap right of generator. I have replaced my ac condenser with a larger one designed for fire trucks and ambulance with 2 electric fans. .  Having the ac recharged on the 27th of August. Will post picture when it is being charged. 05 Monterey.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 05:02:06 AM »
My recharge ports are readily accessible, directly attached to the compressor. Unfortunately a system charge in the spring only lasted 3 days. Now I assume I'll be trying to locate a leak.

Squeezing a small camera around the sides and top of the generator produced photos of little value.

Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 01:55:20 PM »
Check the condenser mounted on the air charge cooler if you have side radiator. Any signs of oil residue could be the leak. A rock nicked my condenser.  Also if the electric fan brackets come loose it will wear a hole in the condenser. Check that first.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Bill Sprague

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 03:58:13 PM »
Quote from: Keith Duner
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  Before submitting my post I did an extensive search inside the front cap with the generator extended and never found anything.  If it turns out that they are in fact there, I'll have to hire a pigmy contortionist to do the job because this old carcass can't get any deeper into the front cap.
I bought the most expensive consumer charge kit at Autozone because it had a longer hose than the rest.  It is called the "Interdynamics (ACP-100 PRO) Professional"

The hose is long enough that I can attach it to the fill port by feel and stand upright at the genset to do the work.  

This is it on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Interdynamics-ACP-100-Professional-Conditioning-Refrigerant/dp/B007USCM7E/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1408373621&sr=1-2