Author Topic: Cruise control will not turn on  (Read 21484 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Cruise control will not turn on
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2014, 03:31:30 PM »
Quote from: Jerry Emert
My navy experience is coming back to me after buying our new Beaver.  I was an Electronic Warfare Technician.  I've been trouble shooting electrical problems, with Gerald's help.  
The cruise control was not working so I put some good old Navy know how to work.  One of the things a navy tech learns early is that the vibrations of a ship at sea causes all kinds of things to vibrate loose even if held solidly in place.  I started banging"really tapping"on relays with my little hammer I use to work on guns.  Now my cruise control works fine in the high idle mode.  Still won't trust the cruise on the road but now at least I know that it was a sticking relay.  Now to figure out which one.
So Dan and Gary here's my update.  We'll see how long my Navy repair lasts.

It's time to add to this.  I outsmarted myself which seems pretty easy to do but no damage.  The cruise control was driving me nuts because sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't.  I tapped on the relay and it worked for awhile then quit while I was driving.  I would tap and it would work, soooo I thought bad relay or connection.  Wrong!  Don't ask me how but I discovered that it works all the time as long as the engine brake is on, yes I said on!  It is not supposed to work when the brake is on.  So cruise problem better or maybe worse?  At least it works now and my big toe feels better not having to control the speed constantly.  Brake pedal switch still doesn't work but brake lights are fine.  I've obviously got a wiring issue but at least it works and I turn it off whenever there are cars in my vicinity.  I'm happy, sort of, now.  If you have ideas I am open to all.  Thanks

Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 05:56:57 PM »
Jerry,
Sounds like you've got  a mis-wire between or at relays K5 (Cruise Control) and K7 (Eng Brake). The relays are in the electrical bay beneath the driver window. The forum "Members Only" section has a sticky that will take you to wiring diagrams including one for a 2003 Patriot. You should be able to check wire numbers vs relay connections and locate the problem.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 09:16:17 PM »
Quote from: Steve Huber Co-Admin
Jerry,
Sounds like you've got  a mis-wire between or at relays K5 (Cruise Control) and K7 (Eng Brake). The relays are in the electrical bay beneath the driver window. The forum "Members Only" section has a sticky that will take you to wiring diagrams including one for a 2003 Patriot. You should be able to check wire numbers vs relay connections and locate the problem.
Steve

Thanks Steve, I have the diagrams, that how I knew which relay to bang (I mean tap) on.  I'm just happy the cruise works now.  It will be about #10 on my list of "things to do", behind leaky slides and Aladdin issues among others.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Gary Carver

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2014, 03:29:31 PM »
Well after driving to Bend we realized that when i hit cruse on the Aladin system did not say on but when i hit on and then resume it then said on so the aladin system in not picking up the signal that it is on-----works fine but still wont show on so i just hit resume and then adjust it up or down----didnt do anything to it in Bend