Author Topic: Walla Walla to Missoula through Lolo NF on US 12  (Read 7762 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Walla Walla to Missoula through Lolo NF on US 12
« on: August 18, 2014, 06:11:00 AM »
Does anyone have experience traveling from Walla Walla, WA to, Missoula, MT via US 12? Its a US Hwy, so I'd guess it would be okay for the coach, but I wanted to ask just in case.

Thanks in advance.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Walla Walla to Missoula through Lolo NF on US 12
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 10:15:44 AM »
It's fine, Stan.  With family in Victor, just south of Lolo and north of Hamilton, we've traveled it many times.  It follows the Clearwater and then the Lochsa rivers, much of the way along the path of the Corps of Discovery.  We've enjoyed overnights at Clearwater Crossing RV park on the river in Orofino, and Lewis-Clark Resort in Kamiah if you aren't in a hurry to get to Missoula.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dick Surry

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 02:47:51 PM »
Pretty but windy.

Dick from Walla Walla

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 06:00:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies, Dick and Joel. No hurry, just trying to see more of the great scenery out here while slowly working our way back to the midwest. My goal is to see Three Forks and the headwaters of the Missouri River. Becky and I are great fans of the Corp of Discovery. We followed it a great deal on the way out. From there we want to drop down to Yellowstone Holiday RV Park at Hebgen Lake (we have stayed there before and like it a lot) and then visit YNP for a few days.

Thanks again!

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 07:51:21 PM »
While staying a week at Ennis RV Village in 2008 for the Flyfishing Festival, we wandered the country in our Explorer, "Pearl", a lot and I caught and released plenty of fish from the Madison, Ruby, Jefferson, and Missouri rivers.  After exploring Virginia City one day, I returned the next to follow a ranch road up a creek into the hills between there and the Ruby River and had a glorious day shared with dozens of mountain brook trout.  

One day I wanted to check out the Headwaters, because I'd missed a planned visit during a trip in 2000 that had gone south (east to Billings actually) with a tow truck.  On the way north from Ennis, rising fish caught my eye as we passed over the Jefferson on a long bridge.  A large parking spot was on the other side so I swung in under some cottonwoods where Lee could read and stay shaded.   I wandered down to the river and despite watching hundreds of rises I had no luck.  I walked back over the bridge to where the water ran deeper.  Ranch cattle wandered all around me, but I was now fixated on the literally hundreds of incessantly rising fish in front of me.  A huge hatch of flies was on the water and making my single little fake stand out among them was not going to be easy.  Cast after cast went unnoticed until I refined my technique as I usually have to on new water, and then the action started.  The weight of the first fish was exciting on my old Orvis 6 weight rod.  Imagine my heart sinking when my humongous trout in the creek turned into a mountain whitefish at the shore.

Hey what the heck, right?  Though not as pretty or scrappy as trout, whitefish carry a lot more belly weight per inch, and challenge both arm and equipment, especially in the plus sizes.   I probably caught and released, on purpose or by breakoff, a couple dozen whitefish from 12 inches to over 20 in the next hour.   Goodness knows how many took a swipe at the dryfly and missed.  This is not normal whitefish behavior as I commonly only pick them up while nymphing for trout on river bottoms.  So that day will live on in a special place in my memory.  What fun it was.  The whiteface behind me probably could have cared less, but no doubt were enamored of the commotion whenever one of those 20 inchers came to hand.  

Due to the unscheduled "delay", it was late in the day when we arrived at the Headwaters park, but it was spectacular as sunset neared.  Yet I had time to explore the Corps of Discovery sites upstream at the Gallatin River, and even snagged some genuine trout a little further up on the Missouri proper.  I sometimes wonder which of the 6 rivers actually involved would have been named the Missouri if they hadn't been named separately (Gallatin, Madison, Jefferson, and a little further up the Ruby, Big Hole, and Beaverhead).  In truth, the actual headwater of the Great Missouri can be said to lie up the Red Rock River, not far from Henry's Lake.

If you are planning on staying with I-90 to Three Forks, that's fine, but you may miss a lot of Lewis & Clark stuff south of there.  We like gunkholing around the country from Countryside RV Park south of Dillon, and as mentioned, Ennis RV Village.  There's a lot of spectacular scenery and historic sites to see in that corner of Montana.  Just north of Dillon is Beaverhead Rock where Sacagawea finally recognized her Shoshone homelands (in Dillon it's pronounced "Suh kag uh way uh" by the way, not Sac uh juh wee uh).

-Joel
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:03:09 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 05:22:08 PM »
Stan, if you're in the area I can recommend a stop at the Wheat Montana Bakery just off the freeway at Three forks. In spite of my sweeties "encouragement" to keep on moving I always stop for a couple of Cinnamon goodies. The bakery is operated by the same family that grows the wheat, a hard red wheat, and it makes great bread. I always abscond with at least 10 lbs of  flour and a package of their 7 grain mix. The KOA across the road on the south side is a nice stay and you can browse the country from there.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 08:29:01 PM »
One more pic from up Red Rock territory:
-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 05:59:01 PM »
The trip was uneventful as far as driving was concerned. We stopped in Dayton, WA and discovered a gem! The town was beautiful with a great downtown area. We had dinner at the Weinherd Cafe across the street from the Weinherd Hotel. The food and service were outstanding! From there, we traveled a few miles to Tucannon River RV Park.  Great place with long, wide sites. The owner was delightful. The next day we followed the Snake and Clearwater Rivers. It was awesome to see the Lolo Pass Visitor Center and to learn more about Lewis & Clark!

We are presently at Lake Hebgen near West Yellowstone. We've spent the last two days seeing old and new wonders in YNP.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad