Author Topic: Aladdin Silver Leaf Conversion  (Read 11284 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Aladdin Silver Leaf Conversion
« on: September 04, 2014, 07:36:54 PM »
Has anyone installed the Aladdin Silver Leaf conversion?  If so are you satisfied?  Any suggestions, thoughts or advice?
Thanks in advance.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Gerald Farris

Re: Aladdin Silver Leaf Conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 09:15:06 PM »
Jerry,
The Silverleaf conversion for a coach that is equipped with an Aladdin system is expensive. Most coach owners who want the functionality of a Silverleaf system for their Aladdin equipped coaches use the PC version (no Apple version) of Silverleaf, VMSpc. The PC based software is installed on your notebook computer, and you run the Silverleaf supplied cable from the PC to the diagnostic plug under the dash. You just set the notebook were you can see it while driving, and you have a 15 inch Silverleaf system for I think a little over $300. It might be worth the price of the VMSpc kit to be sure that you like the Silverleaf system before buy the conversion, or you can download the VMSpc software free from the Silverleaf website to see if it looks like it is a system that you want.

Gerald

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 10:32:38 PM »
Quote from: Gerald Farris
Jerry,
The Silverleaf conversion for a coach that is equipped with an Aladdin system is expensive. Most coach owners who want the functionality of a Silverleaf system for their Aladdin equipped coaches use the PC version (no Apple version) of Silverleaf, VMSpc. The PC based software is installed on your notebook computer, and you run the Silverleaf supplied cable from the PC to the diagnostic plug under the dash. You just set the notebook were you can see it while driving, and you have a 15 inch Silverleaf system for I think a little over $300. It might be worth the price of the VMSpc kit to be sure that you like the Silverleaf system before buy the conversion, or you can download the VMSpc software free from the Silverleaf website to see if it looks like it is a system that you want.

Gerald
The Aladdin was damaged during my electrical episode of a few months ago.  So far I've spent about 4500 recovering from that.  The only thing left to fix is the Aladdin.  With no parts available and no techs in the area that know the system it's been tough getting the troubleshooting done.  I'm not retired so I can't just pull up stakes and go to Alliance for 2 weeks.  I'm just exploring options to present to the insurance company still.  They won't pay anything until I am willing to sign off on the claim.  So just wondering?
Thanks
Jerry
PS  almost forgot, will that computer program monitor tank levels like aladdin did?  Same sensors?  are they connected to the engine plug?

Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 11:02:54 PM »
Jerry,
If you get the full Silverleaf conversion, yes it will monitor the tank levels. However the Silverleaf conversion will not use the same tank sensors. For the conversion, Silverleaf uses SeeLevel sensors by Garnet Technologies. They are strips that attach to the outside of the tank, and never get dirty or fouled by residue.

The Silverleaf system will tie into the ECM data link, and read all engine parameters directly from the ECM. That is the only source for accurate driveline information. The engine and transmission control modules are both tied into it.

Gerald    

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 11:06:15 PM »
Quote from: Gerald Farris
Jerry,
If you get the full Silverleaf conversion, yes it will monitor the tank levels. However the Silverleaf conversion will not use the same tank sensors. For the conversion, Silverleaf uses SeeLevel sensors by Garnet Technologies. They are strips that attach to the outside of the tank, and never get dirty or fouled by residue.

The Silverleaf system will tie into the ECM data link, and read all engine parameters directly from the ECM. That is the only source for accurate driveline information. The engine and transmission control modules are both tied into it.

Gerald    

Thanks
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 11:21:25 PM »
My Marquis has both an Aladdin with screen on my left dash (I assume the coach came with it) and a Silverleaf with screen on my right dash (I assume it was added later by a previous owner).  Both systems are fully functioning as far as I know except that the tank levels (gray, black, and fresh water) display only on the Silverleaf screen (by pressing the "Home" button).  The tanks' wiring was unhooked from the Alladin and interfaced to display on the Silverleaf.  It took awhile for me to figure the best combination to use while driving.  I have pretty much settled on having the Aladdin screen on my left show me the engine data, transmission data, and automatically switching to the side cameras while making turns.  On the Silverleaf screen I rotate frequently between the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (pushing the "Drive" button) and towed pickup on the rear camera (pushing the "Video" button).

I like to monitor the eight coach tire pressures after getting on the highway when I start out with cold tires, and continue to monitor them for an hour or so until the tires warm up and increase to my desired pressures.  Before getting on the highway and after that first hour I generally watch the towed vehicle to make sure it's following smoothly.  I can also use the rear camera display to see that I am well past a vehicle I may have passed on the highway before cutting back in to complete the passing maneuver.

I have no idea what the cost was to install the Silverleaf in the coach, but I am sure I paid for it included into the cost of the used coach.  I think by being able to monitor many "things" simultaneously and by easily being able to move between other "things," I feel a bit less naked in the driver's seat compared to other coach drivers.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 05:34:01 AM »
David,
You said that you like to watch your tire pressure as the tires heat up and get up to the pressure readings that you want. The correct tire pressure that is listed on the inflation tables for your tires is cold inflation. The tires should be at the proper inflation before the coach is driven. The hot inflation will be higher, but it will depend upon the road temperature as to how much higher. So you should never adjust your tires for hot inflation, only use cold inflation readings to set tire pressure.

Gerald

Doug Neal

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 07:17:18 AM »
A fellow Beaver owner of mine uses a small (12' or so) Windows computer for his Silver Leaf display. It has many options you can choose to display. I am sure it was less than $1000.00 for computer and interface. Looks like a pretty nice setup as it has an larger display with more information.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 03:35:39 PM »
I have set my tire pressures at 110 psi cold for the front 6 tires, and at 100 psi cold for the 2 rear tires.  After less than an hour at 50 to 55 mph the tires rise at least 15 psi.  When I first purchased the coach two years ago I was advised to keep the tires at 120 psi cold.  The potential problem I saw was that in warmer weather, after an hour at highway speeds, I would see the tires go as high as 140 psi.  I then saw somewhere (was it here in the forum?) that the wheels also have a psi limit.  Thus, I moderated the cold pressures such that the tires would not exceed 130 psi when at highway speeds.

The front end of my coach weighs just over 16k when full of fuel.  The 295/80 22.5 Michelins on my coach are rated at just under 8k at 120 psi.  Thus, I figure at near 130 psi the coach's front end weight and the tires should be in sync.  But, there is always that first hour to think about, and there is always those colder nights to think about when the cold pressures will not be up to 110 psi cold.  For those circumstances I try to seasonally adjust the pressures to account for cooler and warmer nights.  I have not often, but I have occasionally, stopped along the road in a wide spot to add air to the tires if I see they are too low.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 04:40:22 PM »
David,
You are running your tires underinflated. You should be running 120 PSI in your front tires when they are cold regardless of the hot pressure, and from the weights you listed, the front tires will still be slightly overloaded. The posted pressure readings on the tires and wheels are both cold inflation.

If I were you, I would try lowering the weight on the tag axle a little while the front axle is on a scale in order to lower the weight on the front axle. You may also consider going up to 315/80/22.5 tires if you have clearance.

Gerald

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 06:05:36 PM »
David
I am with Gerald on this one.  There has been a rash of tire blowouts lately and by all accounts you dont want to be next.
I dont understand why your coach  came with 295's when ours came with 12R truck tires from the factory.  12R is almost identical size to the 315's with the main difference being a thicker sidewall and slightly stiffer ride.  I have all the tires inflated to 110 psi even though the duals and tag could be lowered.
If you do go to larger tires, Toyos are much more affordable.
KEITH
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 10:42:34 PM »
Jerry,

You may want to look at Silverleaf's TM-540 data link for $295.00.  It will display your information on a phone application.  I am not sure they have a version for iPhone.

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 04:26:09 PM »
Jerry,

You may want to look at Silverleaf's TM-540 data link for $295.00.  It will display your information on a phone application.  I am not sure they have a version for iPhone.

Karl

Update, I don't need the silverleaf.  Scott of Sanford RV in Sanford RV dug in and found 2 bad transformers in the Aladdin.  $75 fix.  Thanks for all the help. 
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH