Author Topic: BATTERY REPLACEMENT TIPS  (Read 3693 times)

Tom Chace

BATTERY REPLACEMENT TIPS
« on: September 24, 2014, 03:47:44 PM »
I need to replace the two coach batteries
Any recommendations for replacement ?

Can I remove both without doing any damage IE: loss of any electronic functions or memory?
OR
Do I need some jumpers to keep the 12V flowing into the coach side?

Any help - as always- IS appreciated

Tom

Tom Chace

Re: BATTERY REPLACEMENT TIPS
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 03:53:35 PM »
By Coach Battery I meant chassis battery
99/00 Beaver Montery 36' is the coach

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 04:39:02 PM »
Tom,
Be sure to note the cable connections/routing. If you have a battery cut off switch for the chassis batteries, use it to disconnect the batteries. If not, no problem. You won't lose any memory, etc when having the chassis 12v disconnected for a short time. Most of the "memory"functions are powered by the house batteries in any case and are protected from loss by internal batteries or use of flash memory that stores info even when power is removed. The engine ECU and Silverleaf are powered by the chassis batteries and their memories are protected against power loss.

Be sure to clean the cables of any corrosion before reattaching. I use NAPA's spray-on corrosion remover followed by their terminal protectant but most auto parts stores carry various brands.

Not sure of the amp hour needs of your coach. I normally use a Group 31 battery. Interstate is popular but I've seen others recommended here in other threads on batteries. My coach needs 1000 CCA but yours may not require that much. If you got good service out of the existing batteries, consider sticking with that brand/rating.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 06:23:30 PM »
Tom,
Be very careful to hook the new batteries up exactly like the existing batteries. Improperly installing the batteries can do serious damage to the coach wiring. If necessary take pictures and label the cables with strips of masking tape to insure that all cables are reinstalled to the proper configuration. One last thing, remove the negative cables first and reinstall them last.

Gerald  

Tom Chace

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 09:37:06 PM »
Thank You All

You are all a wealth of information

Tom